machinari

Forum User
Quote by n4th4n:I have tried to run the install script
which is when i get the error!
Text Formatted Code
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''
at line 1. SQL in question: SELECT * FROM

Your error log will have details listing tables created successfully etc. or not. as well as some uninstall info if things didn't go well, which clearly they didn't. let me know.

also, if you could post the entire error message that you received, that would help me to track down your problem. Usually those sql error messages are accompanied by a slightly fuller record of the statement that was attempting to execute.

btw, what version of the plugin are you working with?

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
The error quoted above was from my geeklog/logs/error.log. Do you mean another log? I have version 1.0.2 and I'm running GL1.3.9sr1. The install page loads up, but clicking on the face? icon produces the mysql error. PHP 4.3.9, MySQL 4.0.22-standard. I have chatterblock, fortune and staticpages installed. I have my geeklog directory located outside of my public_html folder. Thanks for taking the initiative and moving this discussion over here. By the way, I love the design of your site!

machinari

Forum User
Quote by n4th4n: The error quoted above was from my geeklog/logs/error.log.

that's the right log. but there should be a bit more info in it. if the install script ran at all, then there would be evidence of that. that is what i'm looking for there.
The install page loads up, but clicking on the face? icon produces the mysql error.

let me understand this... you go to the plugin install page, click the install button, the message you recieve says that the plugin is successfully installed, then you click on the face and received an error?

clicking on that face from the "success" page should take you to the dailyquote configuration page. In which case, the sql statement that is failing is doing so because it cannot decipher: {$_DQ_TABLES['dailyquote_settings']}. This means, in turn, that it is not reading the plugin's config.php file, which should be located at: {$_CONF['path']}/plugins/dailyquote/config.php. Check that path.

What I'm looking for is if the plugin actually installed or not. there should be a record in your error log file.
I have my geeklog directory located outside of my public_html folder.

I don't think that that should make any difference, but i'll check.

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
OK, this is wierd.
I looked through the log and I can't find any other error (thats not a feed error) related to dailyquote. I checked for the existance of config.php at the path your list (its there) and I checked that indeed that is the CONF[path] mentioned in the geeklog config.php file. Frustrated, I loaded the install.php page again. This time, the "face" was a question mark (it couldn't find the image file so the browser reported a missing graphic). "That's wierd", I thought. Then I noticed that there was an "install" button at the bottom of the text in that page. I could've sworn that wasn't there before! I clicked "install" and now dailyquote appears amoung the other plugins! Arrgh. It also appears as a configurable in the admin section. Now, I must admit I was drinking last night, but at 210 I can hold a few and I really don't think I missed that button. Also, the graphic working / then not working is strange. I am at a loss right now, but eager to play with your plugin, so "Thanks!" and I'll report back.

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Working Great! I don't know what changed (if anything). The log shows that it is successfully installed and I was able to set it all up just fine. Really slick! The only thing I'd like to see is a more geeklog-standard editable list for management (ie: click on the number to edit, click on the first few words to view the entire thing, etc.) - The listings link is fine, but you can't click on a quote to edit it which is my intuitive sense (or at least what I want to do). Otherwise this is already my favorite geeklog plugin (next to staticpages I've been looking for something like this for a while, thanks for sharing and pitching in to help me get it up and running!

machinari

Forum User
I'm sure glad it's working for you now.. I was getting worried that I wouldn't be able to help.

As far as taking a quote to edit right from the listings page, I agree with you. That is the intuitive thing to do. I have simply been undecided on the best way to implement that. I don't want to make the quote clickable at all because of style issues. I considered a button beside the quote for those who have permission, but didn't want to clutter it up. What do you suggest?

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
I was thinking something simple akin to the stories admin page, where the story # (1,2,3, etc.) is a link to the editor. My sense is that you are only going to edit one that you just saw pop up in the "Quote of the Day" and noticed an error, so you'll either search for that quote or pick it out of the list (I would rather scan a list than search) so personally I'd rather have the listing be one line each (like the stories admin again) and cropped short. However, I was not thinking that there might be another use for the "listings" page, ie: printing off a bunch perhaps? and this sort of listing would make that harder? (I guess you could just use a different css style for printing, though). Just my two cents, this is exactly what I was thinking about building myself (though I doubt I could've actually accomplished such a slick implementation).

Another question: I currently have the quote appearing in a block entitled "quote of the day" which refreshes at every page refresh. Is there any way to have the quote be "sticky" such that it changes based on the data/time? I was thinking to really have a "quote of the day" and not a "quote of the page view" which is what is really happening. Perhaps I haven't found a setting in there yet?

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by n4th4n:

Another question: I currently have the quote appearing in a block entitled "quote of the day" which refreshes at every page refresh. Is there any way to have the quote be "sticky" such that it changes based on the data/time? I was thinking to really have a "quote of the day" and not a "quote of the page view" which is what is really happening. Perhaps I haven't found a setting in there yet?

Never mind, I found the setting in the admin section! Thanks

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:26 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content