Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:53 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

No outside of the document root

Swoop

Anonymous
indescribable
Okay i have a big question i\'m surprised isnt covered in the installation guide. Though i\'m propably asking a dumb question i want to know what to do when i dont have an outside of the installation root. My host only gives me a couple of dirs like _private and some _vti_bin (and alike) dirs when i ftp to my host. How the hell do i place anythign outside the root then ?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Swoop: Okay i have a big question i\'m surprised isnt covered in the installation guide.
That\'s because it is pretty rare these days (usually only seen with some free hosting services). If you search for \"lycos\" or \"tripod\" you should find such cases.
Quote by Swoop:Though i\'m propably asking a dumb question i want to know what to do when i dont have an outside of the installation root.
If your hosting service allows you to password-protect directories, then you could create such a directory inside your document root and put everything that\'s outside of Geeklog\'s public_html into that directory (adjusting the paths in config.php and lib-common.php accordingly). You could even do that without the password protection but that poses some security issues. In that case, I would really suggest looking for another hosting service ... bye, Dirk

Swoop

Anonymous
Okay... thx for the info. Just my host doesnt as far as i know let me go out of my home dir.. but i should probaly check it more then... if you say it\'s not so common not to be able to do so... anyways thx for the quick reply Wink

Swoop

Forum User
awake
Okay talked to my host. I can use .htacess to protect the folder i want to use for \"outside of webroot\" so that thoose folder can only be read from ftp. Now does anybody here know how i do that exactly ?? hehe.. hate to ask dumbass questions but if i dont i would propably end up with an insecure installation of this seemingly awsome partal Wink
Swoop

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Try some of these ... bye, Dirk

Swoop

Forum User
Ahh thx.. i was fishing more like if there was any special settings or anything like that required for it to work. Basically i just need to prevent the general public from getting acess to thoose files ?
Swoop

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:53 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content