Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:35 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Make Profile Private

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
cold
How do I go about making a users profile private to anyone but admins. The information on the site is for the users consumption but they do NOT need to be able to see information about other users. Smile

Thanks

LWC

Forum User
You can't.

That's why I put a feature request about it some months ago, plus some other important feature requests regarding profiles.

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
So there is NO WAY AT ALL I can protect my registered users identities? Even from each other?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Care to elaborate?

The entire point of a profile page is to provide some information about yourself. If you don't want that, don't enter anything. That would leave the username and the join date as the only information there (and you can remove the latter from the template file if needed).

There's a config option to block access to the profile for anonymous users. Also, you could set "Show 'Contributed By'" to false, which would hide the author name (and the link to their profile) from most places.

bye, Dirk

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
Using geeklog to allow registered users to view proprietary information. We dont want user 19 to be able to see the personal information of user 20 and so on. The only person who would need to view the profile information is the admin for purposes of maintaining a current user list - adding and subtracting. I turned off annonymous profile viewing but registered users can still use this string to view the personal info of users online...

http://geeklog.webbadass.com/users.php?mode=profile&uid=2

Would like to be able to lock out profile viewing altogether unless you are an admin but it seems that cant be done without a hack like you mentioned here...

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=82652&highlight=profile.

Guests

Anonymous
What good are (forum) autotags if users here keep refusing to use them?

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
What are you talking about? What does that have to do with my question?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I guess he meant that you could have used [ forum:82652 ] to create an automatic link like so: here

But that doesn't really help. Actually, I don't see the connection with that other forum thread - that was about disabling the email function.

The feature request LWC was referring to is here. Is that more like what you would need?

bye, Dirk

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
Links got it... But - to the point at hand...

I want to disable everything on the profile page. Everything. Period. I dont want one for users. I want neither unregistered users nor registered users to have access to user profiles. The users themselves do not want to have their use of this site on display or where they can be reached with anyone but the admin... It is merely a matter of protecting anonymity for all from all, regardless of who is logged in... I only want the ADMIN to have the ability to see the profiles of the users. The users cannot post and do not interract - they go in and read what the admin has written and then leave.

So I am tempted to go in and try to nuke the whole profile function, for users, altogether if there are no means to do it already...

lgarner

Anonymous
Well, that would work. Editing the users.php file to allow access to only administrators would be a start. If that's not a feature that's incorporated into the Geeklog code, then it's something that you'll need to maintain.

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: lgarner

Well, that would work. Editing the users.php file to allow access to only administrators would be a start. If that's not a feature that's incorporated into the Geeklog code, then it's something that you'll need to maintain.

I figured that is what I would have to do as I cannot find how to turn it off completely. It would seem to be a logical feature for geeklog considering that I cannot be the only admin out there who would like to use geeklog in this manner. Given that the user would have to know how to access the other users profile using the profile string...

www.zzz.com/users.php?mode=profile&uid=2

... which makes it tough to get all the users info, accessing them one at a time, guessing at user numbers... Still, I should think that ability to turn it off would be available. Oh well, Geeklog is still my favorite! Thanks y'all! Big Grin

scarecrow

Forum User
Junior
Not sure if something like this would work, but what about putting something like this towards the top of lib-custom.php?

Text Formatted Code
if (strpos ($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], 'users.php') AND $mode=='profile') {
header("location:http://yoursite.com");
}

That's off the top of my head, don't know if that would solve the problem or create some others.
And as always, if that code breaks your site, you get to keep both pieces.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
In users.php, function userprofile(), changing

Text Formatted Code
function userprofile($uid, $msg = 0, $plugin = '')
{
    global $_CONF, $_TABLES, $_USER, $_IMAGE_TYPE,
           $LANG01, $LANG04, $LANG09, $LANG28, $LANG_LOGIN, $LANG_ADMIN;

$retval = '';
    if (empty($_USER['username']) &&
        (($_CONF['loginrequired'] == 1) || ($_CONF['profileloginrequired'] == 1))) {

to something like

Text Formatted Code
function userprofile($uid, $msg = 0, $plugin = '')
{
    global $_CONF, $_TABLES, $_USER, $_IMAGE_TYPE,
           $LANG01, $LANG04, $LANG09, $LANG28, $LANG_LOGIN, $LANG_ADMIN;

$retval = '';
    if (!SEC_inGroup('Root')) {

should block access to the profile page from all but members of the Root group (replace with another group's name as needed).

If you want this formalized and become a regular Geeklog feature, I'd suggest you submit a feature request or comment on the one by LWC that I pointed out above.

bye, Dirk

webbadass

Forum User
Chatty
excited
:chestslam: Wow...

w00t! that will do it - thanks!

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:35 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content