Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 08:58 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Error Rendering

congleal

Forum User
I have multiple websites running geeklog on one server... only this one server presents the following error: "Unfortunately, an error has occurred rendering this page. Please try again later." On my local network the page displays without error however outside the network I get the above error. I've other websites on the same server and accessing a web proxy to verify external acces to these sites, I get no error except for that one site.
I've check configs, etc and can't seem to nail down the issue.

Lee

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

congleal

Forum User
Dirk,
You're right as usual... don't understand why I was able to view the website on the local network, while outside the network router, I would get the rendering problem. The error I got was "2 - shell_exec() [function.shell-exec]: Unable to execute 'host -W 1 67.159.44.138' @ C:\ArchangelReport\plugins\gus\functions.inc line 222" I disable GUS and it displayed properly outside the network.
Now I'm wondering what cause GUS plugin to cause this problem?

Thanks!

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
I get this error message too. The RTFM covers only version 1.4.
Everything what used to be in config.php in version 1.4 is in version 1.5 in the database. How can this be changed so that we can view the detailed error message?

Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
In 1.5.0 the 'rootdebug' option is now in the Configuration admin panel.

If you get an error and can't go to the Configuration any more, you'll need to make a small change to lib-common.php to see the error. Line 71 reads:
Text Formatted Code
if( function_exists('set_error_handler') )

Change the name 'set_error_handler' to something that doesn't exist, e.g.
Text Formatted Code
if( function_exists('xxxset_error_handler') )

Then try again. You should now see the error. Don't forget to change the function name back once you've resolved the issue (for security reasons, so the error message doesn't leak any information).

This will be addressed in 1.5.1.

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
Thank you for you quick reply Dirk.
Now I see the error message but it makes not much sense to me.

What I did is that I copied a working installation of gl 1.5 on my server to have it run under another domain. I copied the database and changed all paths in the gl_config_values table and made the changes to db-config.php as well. (I did this a hundred times with gl 1.4.1.)
The message I get is:
Text Formatted Code
Warning: main(PHP/Compat.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/x/xxx.com/public_html/lib-common.php on line 186

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PHP/Compat.php' (include_path=':.:/usr/share/php') in /home/x/xxx.com/public_html/lib-common.php on line 186

I was looking for a directory called PHP in my public_html directory but it is not there. It is neither in my working installation but it is, well, working.
have PHP Version 4.3.10 installed.

Any ideas?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
It's trying to load a PEAR package. Do you have PEAR installed (correctly)?

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
I have pear in the system directory. Don't know if it is installed correctly but I suppose it is because in my original working installation it seems to work. To my best knowledge everything is identical and it is on the same server and all the paths seem to be correct too...

Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: tgc

I have pear in the system directory.

But it doesn't seem to be looking for it there, as evident from the include_path=':.:/usr/share/php'. Check that you have set have_pear to false.

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
In my original installation pear was set to "false", then I changed it to "true" and now I have the same problem as with my copied version and I cannot access the configuration page anymore.
Can I just change it in the database? Where do I have to make the change that have_pear is "false" here?
INSERT INTO `gl_conf_values` VALUES ('have_pear', 's:0:"";', 'select', 'Core', 's:0:"";', 0, 1, 135, 4);

Thank you

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Hmm, interesting - that means have_pear is set to an empty string. Shouldn't matter - PHP will interpret that as "false" anyway. But it's a minor bug in Geeklog when we initialize the configuration table.

The correct serialized value for a boolean false would be b:0;

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
so if this "have_pear" thing is not the culprit, what can it be that I get this error message, now on both sites. I can't access any one of them anymore.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
To clarify: You seem to have set have_pear to "false" now, which means that it would search for the PEAR packages in system/pear. Is that what you want?

First thing to check then: Is there a PHP/Compat.php file in that directory?

Also: Anything in your error.log? Specifically, a message saying that it was unable to set the path for PEAR?

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
yes, I want to set it to "false" (can do it in the database) and I checked if compat.php is there, it is.
What can we check next? Smile

Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What does you error.log say (see above)?

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
This get repeated in my error.log:
Wed Aug 6 14:48:28 2008 - 2 - main(PHP/Compat.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory @ /home/x/xxx.com/public_html/lib-common.php line 186
Wed Aug 6 14:48:44 2008 - 2 - main(PHP/Compat.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory @ /home/x/xxx.com/public_html/lib-common.php line 186

Frank

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Hmm. I've played around a bit and the only way I can reproduce this is really when the PHP/Compat.php file is not there - or not accessible to the webserver.

Permissions on the pear directories and files are such that the webserver can read them?

On a side note: It's only trying to load this particular file when you're on an old version of PHP (older than 4.2.0). If you have the option to use a newer version, that may be worth a shot. Support for PHP 4 (by the PHP developers) will end tomorrow(!) anyway ...

bye, Dirk

tgc

Forum User
Regular Poster
After a couple of days leaving both installations alone, they started to work again. I absolutely don't know why.
I will continue checking them and come back here if I have problems again.

Thanks/Frank

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:58 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content