Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, May 04 2024 @ 04:23 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unusual blank page problem

Will

Anonymous
I've got several geeklog sites. All of them except one work perfectly.

The one that doesn't work will sometimes give a blank page the first time, and only the first time, I go to it in a given day. If I hit refresh it comes up perfectly, and also comes up perfectly on every subsequent refresh.

I put in the error reporting stuff on your "blank page" fix, but I don't think that's the problem. No errors are ever reported, and the site seems to work fine, except for that first load of the day. It's almost like the site "goes to sleep" after a certain period of inactivity and has to be nudged twice to wake up.

This behaviour is browser independent. That is, the first attempt to load often (but not always) fails regardless of whether you use IE or Firefox to open the page. And the second and all following attempts to load the page work perfectly, regardless of which browser you use.

Here's the site in question:

http://haldimandnorfolkliberals.com

Anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? I love geeklog and really don't want to switch to another system, but this is making that particular client pretty antsy.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That is indeed an interesting effect. I guess it happens once per IP address. Which could indicate a problem with the gl_sessions table. Try to empty it and also use phpMyAdmin or whatever's handy to check and repair it, if necessary.

If that doesn't help: Do you have access to the webserver's logfiles? Preferrably the error_log. But even the access_log entry for that failed first request would be of interest.

bye, Dirk

Will

Anonymous
You might have nailed it.

The session table did seem to have an extra entry. I cleared the table and I haven't seen this behaviour again. Hopefully it will stay fixed tomorrow.

Thanks so much, never in a million years would I have thought of emptying that sessions table.

Will

Will

Anonymous
Nope, same problem back today. Guess I'll have to dump the database, reinstall fresh, and pray to the database gods.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:23 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content