Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 16 2024 @ 01:51 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Strangeness on first forum visit

scarecrow

Forum User
Junior
Have a 1.4.1 site on an intranet being tested. Have the latest forum plugin installed.
When a user firsts visits the main forum page, a strange string appears in the forum name. Instead of:

General Info
Announcements

you see:

General InfoPHPSESSID=3209d8dd50b5.....
Announcements

If you do a refresh it goes away and works perfectly for the duration, or if you just ignore it and continue to peruse the forums, or other areas, it never happens again upon returning to the forum index page. Seems to happen for both anon and logged in users. I have had it happen consistently when I've played with it, although some of the site users tell me that it doesn't always happen. Aside from that all other aspects seem to be "go for throttle up".

1000ideen

Forum User
Do you have captchas activated? Try without the plugins!

mevans

Forum User

Do you have captchas activated? Try without the plugins!

This is a very good suggestion. Geeklog does not use PHP sessions and based on the error, the PHPSESSID is what is causing the problem. As far as I know, CAPTCHA is the only plugin that used PHP sessions.

The latest version of CAPTCHA does not use PHP sessions so it might be a good idea to upgrade it as well.

Thanks!
Mark

scarecrow

Forum User
Junior
It took a little digging, but I managed to find the problem. The 'highly trained, highly paid' sysadmin at this particular site had munged up his php.ini file. For some unknown reason he had set arg_separator.output to " " which overrode the default "&". Letting php.ini use the default "&" fixed it right up so it seems.
I'm not sure of the how's and whys, but it does appear that the forum code does include the PHPSESSID in a couple places, at least I'm seeing it if I do a 'view source' of the forum page. At any rate, I *think* the problem is solved. Thanks for the replies/suggestions!

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:51 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content