Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:10 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Rating Plugin 2.1Beta - Bugs & Feedback

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Please list all bugs and feedback you have here regarding the Rating Plugin 2.1Beta release. When listing a bug if possible, please state-

1. How you found the bug.
2. Version information of Geeklog, PHP, MySQL and of the Web Site software if you have it.
3. Are registered globals on or off.

I have tested the upgrade script for this plugin but I have not tested it on a large database with lots of ratings.

One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Well,

One bug was found dealing with the What's New Block. A Rating that does not have a Review shows up here as a blank.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
I plan to wrap up this version of the plugin in the next couple of weeks. Are there any more suggestions or bugs found?

Please post to this thread instead of emailing them directly to me so all user can see.

Thanks

Reverend Zed

Forum User
Using GL 1.4.1, MySQL server 4.1.21, First Page 2000 website software, registered globals is OFF.

Bugs:
1 - Users are able to rate their own stories. This should not be allowed, or an option to allow/disallow should be available. The config.php setting $_RATING_CONF['show_user_rating'] = '0'; appears as if it might possibly have something to do with this, but documentation is not entirely clear. Setting this to 1 or 0 does not seem to have any effect WRT a user being able to see a rating to their own story or individual user ratings for any given story.

2 - Permissions are messed up. Ratings owner is listed as Anonymous which has no edit rights. Ratings admin group is not given edit rights, even with $_RATING_CONF['default_permissions'] = array (3, 3, 2, 2); which should give the group edit privs. As it is currently, NO ONE can edit any ratings at all. Ratings admin is only able to delete individual user ratings for each story, but cannot delete or edit overall rating for the story.

3 - Ratings still show up in ratings list for stories that no longer exist or have been moved. Especially problematic in light of the previous bug.

4 - Average ratings ALWAYS show up as stars regardless of whether $_RATING_CONF['average_rating_default_display'] is set to CONST_FLAG_RATING_AS_TEXT or CONST_FLAG_RATING_AS_STARS

5 - Not finding a setting to allow/disallow anonymous rating of stories. Likely related to bug 2.

Even with these bugs, the plugin is usable as is, and I like it. Thank you.
One feature suggestion: on:hover show ratings math average text when default display is set to stars. Not really a critical thing but it would be pretty slick.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Thanks for the feedback. Just a few questions for you -

1 - This is something I never addressed. Hmmm, I will add this in with the config option. $_RATING_CONF['show_user_rating'] is used to show the user what he rated an item. With the default settings it should look like this

Average: ***** Your rating: 5

2 - Your right! I thought I had this all figured out. The owner was working correctly at one point, another bug fix must have messed this up. Does your Rating Admin Group currently have rating.edit access?

3 - Can you explain this one further. Do you mean in the admin interface?

4 - I'll look into this

5 - Probably is related to 2, will fix.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Regarding #3, after rereading I understand what you mean. You are refering to the fact that deleting a story itself doesn't delete the associated rating. The reason for this is that the story does not know that a rating exists for it (the same problem will exist with users, etc..). As far as I know plugins cannot be notified when a story is deleted so I have no way of auto deleting associated ratings for a story. There is comment api that allows for this type of behaviour for comments but I haven't used it.

Reverend Zed

Forum User
With bug 3, when bug 2 is fixed, it wouldn't be much of a problem to manually remove the extraneous rating entries. Most likely a cleanup script could be run from within the plugin to check to see if rated stories still exist and automatically remove ratings that are no longer attached to stories. We'll probably have best performance if the cleanup script is triggered from the admin page by an administrator rather than running unattended. No need to always run cleanup every time the ratings page is called. Maybe have a config option for unattended cleanup for admins who don't want to occasionally click a cleanup button after a bunch of orphaned ratings pile up.

Again, thank you for your excellent work.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Ok,

I think I have all the bugs squashed. I've added the new version to one of my live sites and I will let it run a few days to see if any issues come up before release. Security has been double checked (I hope everything is ok) and the upgrade will reset all anonymous owners of rating total records to Admin. It also resets all rating records to the default permissions specified in the config file.

I also took out the ability of autotags to auto create rating records. This was security issue since autotag ratings where created when the story,etc.. was first viewed and the owner would then be the person who viewed the story. I could have set this to a predifined user but since there are a few more fields now to fill out for a rating (title, parent info, etc..) I thought it was best just to have the user create a new rating in the admin interface and then insert the autotag where ever they want. This of course doesn't effect ratings auto created through the mod. This change also makes specifying the min max value in an autotag rather pointless, I would have taken this out but it would mean everyone would need to update their rating autotags to the new format.

Once this version has all bugs squashed I then plan to consider adding the following features:

- Mouse Overs (Popup mouse overs on average rating display with information about the item (average_rating, number of ratings, your rating, Rating Title).
- User Page with their ratings & reviews
- PHP Blocks including:
- Top Ten Ratings
- Negative ratings? Would anyone need this?
- Multi Delete Rating Totals in Admin
- CAPTCHA Integration
- Cleanup Button in Admin to remove any ratings that the parent object doesn't exist anymore for
- Update All Rating Totals Button

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
I've uploaded version 2.2Beta of the Rating Plugin. Please use the new forum thread for any discussion on this version.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:10 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content