Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 11:26 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Quick Filemgmt questions

SamF

Anonymous
Hi all,

I set up Geeklog mainly to have a file uploading system like filemgmt, so that's what I most interested in. Very Happy

I have some questions:

- Is it possible to group different versions of a file together? If I upload a file "MyFile v0.1", and then later upload "MyFile v0.2", I would like v0.1 to be essentially replaced by v0.2, with v0.1 accessible through a link or history or something.

That is, I'd like v0.1-v0.9 (say) to be accessible, but not to have ten files cluttering everything up when I have v1.0. Likewise, it would be nice if ten versions of one file counted as one one file in terms of file counts.

- Is it possible to add tags? Is it possible to search for tags?

- It would make sense if the super-category could see everything in the sub-categories. That is, if I have a file in Cartoons -> Funny Cartoons, and a file in Cartoons -> Serious Cartoons, both files should be accessible by clicking "Cartoons". Is this possible?

- If I want to re-structure my categories at a later date, can I do so without losing all the uploads?

- I can't see anyway to turn off needing to approve every file. Can I set certain groups to be able to upload without approval?

Thanks so much for any answers! Mr. Green

LWC

Forum User
- Is it possible to group different versions of a file together?

No (although you can create a special category for each software).

Is it possible to add tags? Is it possible to search for tags?

Depends what you mean. There's nothing that stands for "keywords", but everything that you write in the file's details in searchable.

- It would make sense if the super-category could see everything in the sub-categories....Is this possible?

Not...from - I mean, for - a Jedi. Unofficially I guess it's possible to hack it.

- If I want to re-structure my categories at a later date, can I do so without losing all the uploads?

Of course. Each file has its unique ID anyway.

Can I set certain groups to be able to upload without approval?

Yes, give them via Geeklog the permission "filemgmt.edit" (please correct me if more filemgmt.X permissions are needed beyond what a registered user gets by default).
But they have to upload through the admin menu.

SamF

Anonymous
Thanks!

Another question: Is it possible to add more fields to the upload page?

LWC

Forum User
This is open source so you can do what you want if you know how to program PHP.

In this case, it will require you to:
  1. Manually add the new fields to the database in the right table (better use PHPMyAdmin).
  2. Modify the PHP files that send parameters to the form in the upload page to include your new parameters.
  3. Modify the PHP files that accept parameters from the form in the upload page to include your new parameters.
  4. Do steps 2-3 again and again (and back up what you did in step 1) each time a new Filemgmt upgrade comes up and you wish to upgrade to it.

SamF

Anonymous
Ok, I'm a PHP-newbie, but I can try my best to work it out. Can you possibly tell me which PHP files I should be modifying in steps 2&3?

LWC

Forum User
That's a little too much work, but feel free to download what I did with the plugin in my site. Since I've also added new fields in that page (mainly a LTR/RTL selection box for the file's description), the changes' file says which files I've changed to contain the new fields (it involves both PHP files and templates).

SamF

Anonymous
Err... I looked at your profile, but don't know what your site is! Sorry...

Where would I find the modified version of the plug-in you're referring to? That would be great to look at! Smile

LWC

Forum User
Ok, that's weird, it just dissapeared from my profile. I've re-added it so check again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:26 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content