Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 09:55 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

I messed up

solson

Forum User
While trying to upgrade from 1.311 to 1.40, I inadvertantly messed up (doesn't follow instructions, well). I was able to return my site back to 1.311, but I also, inadvertantly overwrote my original dB backup with the "upgraded" dB backup. Now, I have some things on my site that won't operate properly. Is there any way to transfer my original dB to a 1.40 dB? I can do a clean install of 1.40, but I have some important forum discussions and member list that I would like to keep. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

DTrumbower

Forum User
So are you running the 1.311 database, 1.4 or something in between?

The forum is independent, so it should be fine.

What help do you need? Someone to actually look at the db or something else?

solson

Forum User
Okay, what I did, was try to upgrade from 1.3.11SR1 to the most current version. When I ran the install script, I got an error message; I did not write it down, but I reinstalled my directory backup to get back on line. If I run the script again, it tells me that the upgrade already took place, and if I want to re-install the upgrade, I need to restore the dB to the pre-upgrade. Unfortunately, I did download a dB backup, but I downloaded another afterwards, and being a stupid dummy head, I overwrote the original backup.

What I need help with, is can I do a clean install, and import the member list and forum tables from the old dB?

Thank you.

DTrumbower

Forum User
It sounds like the db is the latest version and you php files are at the wrong version. Do you use a different theme besides professional?

I don't think you need to do a fresh install and import your files. I'm guessing you are closer than you think.

solson

Forum User
I moved the entire original (1.3.11) install to a different directory. Then I uploaded the new (1.4.0) files, and ran the installer. I selected upgrade, and then selected the appropriate upgrade version. Then the whole thing wouldn't work, so I put the original install (1.3.11) back into the original directory. Most of the site works okay, but I seem to have lost the webresources portion (I uninstalled that plugin, and lost everything anyway), and I can no longer acess my account information.

When I try to put the 1.4.0 files back into the site, it will not let me run the unstaller. If I select fresh install, it tells me that the tables are already there. If I select upgrade, it tells me that I have already upgraded, and to restore the dB to original if I want to run the upgrade, again.

I am going to try some other things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am using the Professional theme.

Thank you.

solson

Forum User
Okay, I got everything back up with the 1.4.0 files. Everything looked good untilI tried to log back in. Now I get the following error in my log when I try to log in:

Fri Mar 17 04:22:41 2006 - 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Wink' at line 1. SQL in question: DELETE FROM gl_speedlimit WHERE (type = 'login'Wink AND (date < unix_timestamp() - )

The only other thing Inoticed was that the admin control panel still said 1.3.11.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

solson

Forum User
When I enter debug mode, I get the following at the top of the page:

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/conne9/public_html/lib-common.php on line 4768"

Does this help?

Thank you.

solson

Forum User
***Update***

I uploaded the /users.php file from the 1.3.11 backup, and now everything appears to be operating properly.

Is this a safe way to run this? Or should I still be trying to fix the problem? Or, should I consider the problem fixed?

Thank you.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by solson: I uploaded the /users.php file from the 1.3.11 backup, and now everything appears to be operating properly.

Shocked Never mix files from two different versions.

Actually, I'd say that's your problem: You're still using the config.php for 1.3.11 and now you're missing some of the new config options. Transfer your settings from the old config.php to the new one, restore the 1.4.0 users.php and try again.

bye, Dirk

solson

Forum User
Dammit. (Thumps self in head...) I cannot believe that I somehow got a 1.3.11 config.php file mixed into my installation.

Okay that created a whole different set of problems. I must have overlooked something in the documentation, but the system was looking for files in the /public_html/public_html/... directory. I managed to move and duplicate some files into that directory, but I don't understand (fully) why I need a /public_html/public_html/ directory. If I do, which files are necessary, and can I then remove them from the /public_html directory?

Thanks for your help.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by solson: I must have overlooked something in the documentation, but the system was looking for files in the /public_html/public_html/... directory. I managed to move and duplicate some files into that directory

Wrong approach. When the path is so obviously wrong, you should fix the path, not move around files.

Double-check all path related entries in config.php.

bye, Dirk

solson

Forum User
You are absolutely correct. However, I cannot find where my error is. I have put everything back where it belongs, and restored all of the 1.4.0 files from the tarball. Now when I go to the site, I get the following error:

Template Error: set_root: /home/conne9/public_html/public_html/layout/professional is not a directory.
Halted.

There I am again, with the double /public_html/ . I cannot find my error anywhere. Any thoughts on where I should look?

Thank you.

solson

Forum User
Okay, I found it.

Thank you for all of your help.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Every path that Geeklog uses is derived from either $_CONF['path'] or $_CONF['path_html'] (and, per default, $_CONF['path_html'] is derived from $_CONF['path']), so start there.

Post them both here if you can't figure it out yourself.

bye, Dirk

solson

Forum User
Okay, in the lib-common.php file, there was one too many /public_html/ entries. Everything is working fine - except...

Every now and again, I get the following error message at the topof my page:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/conne9/public_html/lib-common.php on line 4768

As near as I can tell, line 4768 is the following:

Text Formatted Code
foreach( $listofitems as $oneitem )

Any thoughts on what else I messed up? The message only shows up once for each session, and only at the top of the first page I load. And not everytime I load the first page.

Thank you.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Hard to tell what's going on there. That line is in a function called COM_makeList which is a generic function to create the item lists you see in the side blocks. Do any of your side blocks not work properly or fail to show up on occasion?

bye, Dirk

solson

Forum User
Hmmm. Not that I've noticed. Will blocks that are not active create this kind of issue? I have a couple of blocks that I am not using, but have not removed. I will look for a missing block the next time it happens.

Thank you.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:55 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content