Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, May 07 2024 @ 05:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

UPGRADING Questions

inquest750

Forum User
Regular Poster
ok, here goes. I currently use Geeklog through Lunarpages.com. We have been mostly satisfied with Geeklog and our hosting service. We are now stable and would like to upgrade Geeklog to the newest version available. We have been able to stably maintain our website for a month now with minimal problems. Some of the issues we have we think are related to updates.

So, the first question is, Can we upgrade using a host?

The second question is, If we can, are the rules any different that a standard upgrade?

We currently run geeklog 1.3.11sr1 that was installed with Fantastico, a benefit of lunarpages.com

1000ideen

Forum User
This is probably a question nobody can answer. You`d check what the installation is like with your wespace. I bet the config.php is unprotected just below /html/ but this is probably not the only difference.

Whay don`t you take the chance and install 1.4.0 completely anew just keeping the Mysql? This is more or less what you do with an update anyway .

inquest750

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by 1000ideen: This is probably a question nobody can answer. You`d check what the installation is like with your wespace. I bet the config.php is unprotected just below /html/ but this is probably not the only difference.

Whay don`t you take the chance and install 1.4.0 completely anew just keeping the Mysql? This is more or less what you do with an update anyway .

I would love to install 1.4 fresh, but the problem is that I can't. Fantastico is only offering SR1 in their install package. Keeping Mysql will keep all of my topics and stories? Dirk, maybe you can shed some light on this?

1000ideen

Forum User
>>Keeping Mysql will keep all of my topics and stories?<<
Yes, but I suppose you have made alterations to the design? Actually there is someone else on the forum who is also stuck with this fantastico problem. Lets see if we can`t find out how it works. It will be a few day untill 1.4.0rc2 is out, no need to hurry.

inquest750

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by 1000ideen: >>Keeping Mysql will keep all of my topics and stories? Yes, but I suppose you have made alterations to the design? Actually there is someone else on the forum who is also stuck with this fantastico problem. Lets see if we can`t find out how it works. It will be a few day untill 1.4.0rc2 is out, no need to hurry.

OK, fair enough... this is what I'm going to do for practice... This weekend I will install 1.3.11sr1 locally on my machine and upgrade to 1.4 just for testing reasons... See whta happens and take note of anything that may have gone wrong... and then post back... Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get this working...

Lester Spence

Anonymous
I'm in this situation as well--Fantastico does not allow for an upgrade to 1.4.0 and I am leery of trying to do it without Fantastico. Help here would be appreciated.

1000ideen

Forum User
I had a look into an account with fantastico. Geeklog was installed below /public_html/ and there was no subdir secured with a .htaccess for the config.php. I didn`t notice any other changes. As far as I understand one can just install a new GL manually and use the old MySQL.

Compare this FAQ and keep in mind that GL is unfortunately Neutral rather made for people who don`t mind a manual install: http://www.geeklog.net/faqman/index.php?op=view&t=56

But I am sure you will find helpfull postings on this forum once you decide to dig your nose into it. Have you made any changes to the layout?

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content