_KEMAL_

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What is a "forum menu block"?

bye, Dirk

drshakagee

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: What is a "forum menu block"?

bye, Dirk

Probably that block over there to the top left that says "Forum Menu" at the top. :p

I don't have the forum installed but to make it you probably have to install the latest version of the forum plugin, a new version just came out the other day. Check on PortalParts.com.
Yes I am mental.

machinari

Forum User
if you are talking about the forum menu that appears in the left blocks on this site whenever you are on a forum related page, then the easy answer is that you can't. It only appears here cuz Blaine is da man.

you can, however, create a normal block and just hardcode html links in it.
..or you can create a php block with hard coded html links in it that appears only when on a forum related page.
..or you can wait for the 2.5 version of the geeklog forum--its first release candidate incorporates that menu.

Stolidus

Anonymous
When I activate the forum menu block so that it will be on the left on all pages, I find that I have two forum menu blocks stacked on top of each other when I go to a forum related page.

Is there a quick fix for this, other than disabling the forum menu block?

Thanks.

jmucchiello

Forum User
You should post on www.portalparts.com, Blaine (the author of forum) runs that site and is more likely to see your post there. Forums by default use create a dynamic menu block that appears only when the forums are active. I'm not sure how he does this exactly or whether that behavior can be changed.

machinari

Forum User
Quote by: Stolidus

When I activate the forum menu block so that it will be on the left on all pages, I find that I have two forum menu blocks stacked on top of each other when I go to a forum related page.

Is there a quick fix for this, other than disabling the forum menu block?

Thanks.

The easiest thing to do is don't activate the block. The forum does this for you dynamically. So yes, the block would appear twice if you and the forum are activating a block. Leave the block deactivated and let the forum produce it as it was meant to do.

jmucchiello

Forum User
I understand his frustration. I've considered hacking into the forum software to modify the forum menu. It's cute that it appears magically as needed. But I'd prefer to have the control in my hands. When you're not on a forum page it isn't obvious how to get there. I don't know how many times I've seen "forum features" in the user menu and in my brain thought that could be it before I remember that just lets me customize my forum experience and not a gateway into the experience.

Dazzy

Forum User
Not an ideal solution, but if you use the new theme options and have the automatically created one appear as navbar then you will only have one forum menu block, if you really wanted I'm sure you could comment out the code that includes the navbar too.

layout_url/forum/layout/navbar.thtml

Text Formatted Code

<!-- start navbar.thtml -->
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
        <!--<td colspan="5" style="padding-right:5px;">{navmenu}</td>--> //comment out this line
        </tr>
    <tr>
        <td colspan="5" style="padding-right:5px;">
            <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
                <tr>
                    <td nowrap>
                        {search_forum}
                    </td>
                    <td width="30%" class="alignright" nowrap>
                        {select_forum}
                    </td>
                </tr>
            </table>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>
<!-- end navbar.thtml -->

Dazzy

machinari

Forum User
If you want to get rid of the dynamically created block and just use the block that you enable from your admin->blocks control panel, which would than always appear not just on forum pages, then do this:

In the forum code find any occurrence of:
COM_siteHeader( array('custom_showBlocks',$CONF_FORUM['leftblocks']) )
and make it look like this:
COM_siteHeader()

start with the forum's index.php file. Don't forget to enable your forum block because now you will be without one unless you do.

Tech_Z

Forum User
Junior
I found an easy way to remove the dynamically created forum menu for forum v2.7 and use the block menu in GL1.4.1
here it is...

you need to ftp your forum config.php found in geeklog/system/plugins/forum to your local machine and open it with your text editor
then scroll down to line 120 and find this code:

Text Formatted Code
if ($pi_version >= 2.6) {
    /* Retrieve the list of blocks to show on the left side and make the forum menu the first block */
    $CONF_FORUM['leftblocks'] = array ('forum_menu');
    $CONF_FORUM['leftblocks'] = ppGetUserBlocks($CONF_FORUM['leftblocks']);

on line 3 in this code where it says

= array ('forum_menu');

make it look like this

= array ('');

This will stop the forum from applying it's own menu and don't forget to make sure your forum block is enabled or you won't see one.

Good Luck,
Dennis

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:01 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content