Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, May 19 2024 @ 02:32 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Autotag Links to Another Website

Flernk

Forum User
Chatty
There must be an easy way to do this, but I'm getting frustrated trying to find it...

I want to be able to add an autotag link to my text that will link to another website. I.E.:

[go:http://www.geeklog.net/ Click here to go to Geeklog]

would return

Click here to go to Geeklog

(where "go" is the tag name)

What code do I write and where the heck do I write it?

I tried ByteEnable's method (located here), but it didn't work at all. In fact, all that would return were links to my own site's /admin directory (???).

There must be a simple way to accomplish this, will someone please point it out to me?

Flernk

Forum User
Chatty
I've tried a few other methods, but I keep running in to the same problem... If I don't specify my own URL in the code, it adds my URL anyway and automatically links to my /admin directory. Does anyone know what's going on here.

Is there a much simpler answer that I'm just not seeing?

Is there a tutorial somewhere on writing an autotag?

Anything?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Autotags are meant to implemented in plugins - the built-in ones are more the exception than the rule. I posted a very minimal plugin on the geeklog-devtalk and geeklog-modules mailing lists a few days ago that implements a [tag:] autotag (think technorati.com/tags) in 24 lines of code, but unfortunately our mailing list archives still don't work ...

I haven't tried to reproduce your problem (no time ...), but I see a explode(':') in lib-plugins.php that may interfere with the ':' in the http://... of your links ...

bye, Dirk

Flernk

Forum User
Chatty
confused
Okay, I'm pulling my hair out. I have tried it so many different ways, but something, somewhere is failing and it's got to be me.

If my link contains 2 or more characters past "http://", it returns an empty href link and then destroys itself (see my comments here).

Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to write an effective autotag? Is it even possible to have an autotag point to another website? It's got to be. It's just got to.

Can someone help me

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Oh, now I see what the problem is: If you post something in "plain text" mode, Geeklog will make the URL clickable anyway. Try it when posting in HTML mode, and it will probably work as expected ...

bye, Dirk

Flernk

Forum User
Chatty
Ray of sunshine!

Although, in html mode, I have to add all my own p and br tags, which is a bit annoying. Can I turn off the automatic link feature?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Flernk: Can I turn off the automatic link feature?

As a hack: In lib-common.php, change the two functions COM_makeClickableLinks and COM_undoClickableLinks such that they just contain the single statement:
Text Formatted Code
return $text;

bye, Dirk

Flernk

Forum User
Chatty
angelic
You are some kind of god, I'm sure of it.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:32 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content