Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 02:04 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Updated RSS 2.0 feed writer

Chris

Anonymous
tired
Hi,

I optimised the rss2.feed.class.php from "Feed Writer Classes" to implement some more features.

- fixed content encoding which wasn't included into the rss file at all
- added image-link. Place your site logo in public_html/images/feed.gif
and you get it included in every of your articels.
- content now delivered as and html isn't stripped anymore. Gives you
a nice preview with links and images working.

If you're still using the original geeklog.rdf thing you might like an update Smile

Read more and download the php class file from:
www.christoph-probst.com/technik/software/rss20-writer/

Or have a look at:
weblog.christoph-probst.com/backend/stories.rss2

Chris

Jesse

Anonymous
Nice... unfortunately the Japanese text encoding doesn't work for me with EUC encoding. I guess I'm stuck with the old class for a while still....

k74

Forum User
confused
[QUOTE: from instructions on your file link] Place the .php-file in your ../system/classes/ directory and you're done. You'll find a new RSS file format in your Content Syndication menu. It will be called Rss20 [/QUOTE]

I have done this but the only thing listed was the old geeklog.rdf file. I have not found anything in the content syndication relating to Rss20. I created a new feed but I am unsure if I have done it correctly as I have not found enough information that I can really understand on this topic.

If you can give me any hints it would be appreciated.

Regards

Kev Very Happy
Live everyday as if it was your last!

beewee

Forum User
I'm afraid that your feed is not valid which will make it difficult to submit your feed somewhere. Look here.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Chris

Anonymous
Quote by beewee: I'm afraid that your feed is not valid which will make it difficult to submit your feed somewhere. Look here.

Thanks for you feedback.

Problem 1 - mimetypes: I had to configure my webserver to know about .rss2. But as this also depends on the filename you choose in Content Syndication menu. The original rss writer had the same problem as I changed nothing in this area. E.g. you can add AddType application/rss+xml .rss .rss2 to your httpd.conf.

Problem 2 - Timezone: RFC 822 knows nothing about CEST (Central European Summer Time). I'm looking into this and try to fix the strftime() call.

Chris

Chris

Anonymous
Quote by k74:I have done this but the only thing listed was the old geeklog.rdf file. I have not found anything in the content syndication relating to Rss20.

Please check "ls -la" of your system/classes/ directory. It might be the permissions/owner/filename/ ... In my case it's set to

Text Formatted Code
-rw-r--r--  1 chris users 13098 30. Mai 20:53 rss20.feed.class.php

Chris

Chris

Anonymous
Quote by Chris: Problem 2 - Timezone: RFC 822 knows nothing about CEST (Central European Summer Time). I'm looking into this and try to fix the strftime() call.

Changed to gmstrftime() and now we get GMT. New release on my rss20-writer website

Chris

tampano

Forum User
Chatty
Is there a way to have also the comment in the RSS20 feed? I'm trying to export my geeklog test site into another test with WordPress
--
Tampano
admin of http://www.tampano.com

eyecravedvd

Forum User
Does this class allow for enclosures? Say I want to include an mp3 enclosure?

How would I do it if it does?
Shane | www.EyeCraveDVD.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:04 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content