Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 01:29 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

No problems with register_globals turned off

Chris

Anonymous
awake
Hi,

recently I changed the configuration of my webserver to register_globals turned off. I noticed that geeklog has a problem with that only by reading the message in my admin home:

"you have register_globals = off in your php.ini ... geeklog needs register_globals turned on ..." (or something like that)

Everything else works fine: I can post articels, change configuration, and so on. What exactly isn't working with register_globals turned off? Why is it so important?

- I don't work as the admin user but as a normal user with admin permissions
- I installed geeklog while register_globals where turned on
- I really haven't had any problems yet.

Chris

Robin

Forum User
Quote by Chris:Everything else works fine: I can post articels, change configuration, and so on.

Lucky you Very Happy

I get very often blank screen after e.g. saving a story, deleting a story, I cannot install plugins etc etc etc Sad
Geeklog Polish Support Team

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
It depends on what version of Geeklog you are using and what you are trying to do. More recent versions of Geeklog have been updated to have less of a dependency on register_globals. There are still many places however (especially in the admin section) that requrie register_globals.

-Vinny

Robin

Forum User
Quote by vinny: It depends on what version of Geeklog you are using and what you are trying to do.

Always the latest Mr. Green
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Chris

Anonymous
Quote by vinny: It depends on what version of Geeklog you are using and what you are trying to do. More recent versions of Geeklog have been updated to have less of a dependency on register_globals. There are still many places however (especially in the admin section) that requrie register_globals.

-Vinny

There must be something else ... I can to anything I want. The only "problem" I see is the warning message that I should turn register_globals on. But there is no reason for that atm.

Can you tell me anything that definetly doesn't work?

I can login, write articles, create and edit blocks, write comments, ... all works.

Everyone should at least try to run GL with register_globals=off ... if problems occure it can be temporaly turned on again (eg. for installations updates or so).

Chris

Bakira

Anonymous
Strange...
Because i am using some other code wich requires register_globals=Off my Geeklog site also works fine.
I am using PHP 5.04 Apache 2.0.46 on Linux System
The folowing is the answers of your obvious questions:
Did you restart Apache = YES
Do ypu have any .htaccess for register_globals = NO

drshakagee

Forum User
Some (most?) plugins will not work with register_globals = false even if the rest of GL does.
Yes I am mental.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:29 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content