Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 06:45 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

upgrading software resulted in site going down

billsimmon

Forum User
confused
ok, please bare with me here...

I've been running Geeklog v. 1.3.9 for my weblog since August. I managed to get it installed and running the way I wanted with minimal trouble back then and basically haven't touched the software since. I am not well versed in html, php, css or anything really, but I'm basically smart and I've been able to get by on my good looks and by sort of blindly trying things until it worked right.

So today, feeling bold, but not really knowing what the hell I was doing, I tried to update my software to v. 1.3.11. I went through and created text file backups of every file I remember doing any tweaking to when I set this thing up back in August (config.php, lib-custom.php, etc.). Then I used my isp's geeklog updater to install the new version (my isp made a complete backup of the old site so if I have to I should be able to undo my damage).

After the install was done, when I went to the site's url, I got this message:

"Template Error: filename: file/home/candleb/public_html/candleblog/layout/clean/archivestorytext.thtml
does not exist. Halted."

I never created a backup for the file "archivestorytext.thtml" so I didn't know where to get it.

Okay, so I started trying to edit the files I'd backed up back into the new version (I copied my old config.php over the new one, etc.). Now, when I go to the site I get this:

"An SQL error has occured. Please see error.log for details."

I looked at the error log and the most recent error date in it is from April. So, how badly did I mess things up and is there a simple answer I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Woefully ignorant in Vermont,
Bill

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
A couple of things:

• Geeklog 1.3.11 does not include the Clean theme. There were also theme changes, so that you can't use the old version of the theme. Download the updated version or use the Professional theme for now.

• Don't copy your old config.php over the new one. There are new config options in there which you're missing otherwise. You'll have to copy your old settings over manually.

• Make sure your error.log file (and the logs directory) is writable. Refer to the installation instructions.

• Since I have no idea what your ISP''s updater did ... Are you sure it ran the database upgrade? Seeing the actual SQL error message (once you've made your error.log writable) will clarify that ...

bye, Dirk

billsimmon

Forum User
Thanks Dirk,

I basically carefully backed out of the hole I'd dug for myself and I'm back to using 1.3.9. Is there a way to DL the new version without overwriting my current weblog, so I can do all the tweaking I want to the look of the thing and then apply the new, tweaked version to my existing site? It took me a long time to build my geeklog site the first time before I went "live" and I'd like all the tweaking to happen behind the scenes.

Thnaks again.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by billsimmon: I'd like all the tweaking to happen behind the scenes.

Set up a "development" site somewhere else.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:45 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content