Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 08:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Windows + Geeklog + GoDaddy = 3 Business sites??

EidolonNetCorp

Forum User
working
Hello,

First off I wanted to say that the entire Geeklog system looks really, really good. I'm the new webmaster for a few corporations and businesses, and figured instead of spending hours upon hours Banging your head coding for what will end up being very clean, and professional looking sites. I would look around and see if there was an easier way. After all time = Just my two cents . And I discovered Geeklog.... Cool

My main concern so far, (I don't have the access info yet for the hosting) is thus. Blah Blah Blah Blah ...

I checked out the forums for posts about Geeklog + GoDaddy. I did find that there apparently is basically just a one click installation step for Linux. My Question basically is, does anyone know if there is the same support for Windows + Geeklog, on the GoDaddy systems.

Thanks much,
EidolonNetCorp

Eidolon Network Industries Eidolon Network Securities Eidolon Graphics Industries Valley Midwest International llc. Edward & Lynn Ltd.

EidolonNetCorp

Forum User
angry
I take it no one knows...

Or wants to answer...
Eidolon Network Industries Eidolon Network Securities Eidolon Graphics Industries Valley Midwest International llc. Edward & Lynn Ltd.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Erm, why not ask GoDaddy?

bye, Dirk

Chalkhillian

Forum User
Chatty
I guess that its more that most of us wouldn't want to be caught directly facing the internet with a windows box. Most service providers build linux systems - installing Apache, MySQL and just about about anything else using Fantistico is so easy that its almost laughable. Windows is doable, but most ISPs don't want to get the Redmond RollerCoaster where outages are required every month to patch all the holes in the O/S. I mean how many times and places can you possibly patch buffer underflows and overflows? This is probably the only scenario where windows is in the minority. Most of the scripts and programs are developed for Linux, not Windows. If you were to use Windows, I would stick with Server 2003 as the O/S.

EidolonNetCorp

Forum User
We Run Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition...

And I just thought I'd ask here since maybe someone would know...

Sorry I asked... I won't ask for help again..

jetshack

Forum User
i haven't looked into godaddy hosting since they're so expensive... however I imagine that they're using Fantastico which has geeklog as one of the install scripts...

But even if they don't have one click installs for geeklog it only takes about 5-10 minutes to get a base install up and running manually.

EidolonNetCorp

Forum User
Thank you!

That's all I anted to know. =)

Chalkhillian

Anonymous
Quote by EidolonNetCorp: We Run Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition...

And I just thought I'd ask here since maybe someone would know...

Sorry I asked... I won't ask for help again..

Sorry - I didn't mean it that way. I think your first guess was fairly accurate - no one is using GoDaddy and windows and geeklog so they couldn't answer your question from experience. That's not a knock on you. or windows. I support and manage 225 windows 2000 enterprise servers myself, but none of them are web facing. All of my sites are hosted all over North America on various web hosts - all of which are Linux. Don't take the silence as a bad thing - its as much an answer as any - it speaks volumes of the lack of windows based Geeklogs. However , I do use Geeklog on windows for intranet portals - works great and there is an easy install using Aeonserve - http://aeonserv.com/ - you can install Apache, MySQL, PHP and Geeklog in one easy install.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content