Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 07:41 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Slow

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
hopeful
Ok, no other PC I have accessed my site from does this. My wife who teaches at a University in PA, goes to my main index www.wastelandranger.org and chooses our personal site which is a vhost for www.radiationangel.org. When she goes to www.radiationangel.org it's dog slow, but when she clicks the link to www.wastelandranger.org, it is normal and fast. Both sites run on the same server, and both are using Geeklog latest stable version. The only difference is I have installed about 9 plugins on the slow site, no one else is having issues but her. She is using Firefox 1.0.2 and is running Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I disabled all plugins I thought would effect it and still she had the problem. I don't know what to look for since no one else or even I have this problem. Anyone have a similar problem or maybe some insight?

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
I'm no expert on Windows, but maybe she needs to clear her cache and delete her cookies... and maybe run an antivirus program or two. Evil or Very Mad

If that doesn't work, it could be one or more of the plugins. I've found that the stats plugin slows things down quite a bit. Try disabling the plugins one at a time to try to isolate which one is dragging it's feet.

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by rjrufo: I'm no expert on Windows, but maybe she needs to clear her cache and delete her cookies... and maybe run an antivirus program or two. Evil or Very Mad

If that doesn't work, it could be one or more of the plugins. I've found that the stats plugin slows things down quite a bit. Try disabling the plugins one at a time to try to isolate which one is dragging it's feet.

Hey.. I disabled "stats" plugin and it fixed her problem. No one else is having a problem with the stats plugin enabeled.. I would like to know why it's bothering her. Maybe her network is slow? I can't see how the code would slow her down for 60 to 90 seconds per page. That's a bit excessive or something.

asmaloney

Forum User
Did she have the stats version of the Who's Online showing on her page?

The collection of stats uses this: gethostbyaddr($REMOTE_ADDR). It's possible that the slowdown is caused by a DNS issue. Is she using a proxy?

- Andy

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Andy, you beat me... Razz

Anyway, itcolumbo, Andy is working on an upgrade to the stats plugin which seems to be much quicker. I've been testing it, and it definitely cuts down the time. It also reduces the amount of data that's stored in the database. Big Celebration

I'm sure he'll upload it to the file management plugin here when he has any bugs worked out - I only found one, which he fixed already.

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by rjrufo: Andy, you beat me by a few seconds... Razz

Anyway, itcolumbo, Andy is working on an upgrade to the stats plugin which seems to be much quicker. I've been testing it, and it definitely cuts down the time. It also reduces the amount of data that's stored in the database. Big Celebration

I'm sure he'll upload it to the file management plugin here when he has any bugs worked out - I only found one, which he fixed already.

Sweet, any way I could get a copy of the beta?

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by asmaloney: Did she have the stats version of the Who's Online showing on her page?

The collection of stats uses this: gethostbyaddr($REMOTE_ADDR). It's possible that the slowdown is caused by a DNS issue. Is she using a proxy?

- Andy

No proxy, she has her nic configured static and I think she's just behind a masquerading host. Nothing special. Thanks for the input though. It is a campus network though.

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by ltcolumbo:

Email Andy, he's quick and will have it to you in a few minutes...

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by rjrufo:
Quote by ltcolumbo:

Email Andy, he's quick and will have it to you in a few minutes...

I looked for Andy for the plugin, and it said it was maintained by Tom or something. Could you put his email here or direct me to where it is?

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Email through Geeklog. Click here

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by rjrufo: Email through Geeklog. Click here

Got ahold of him, installed Gus.. it seems to work very well. Need to get my wife to try the site now.. will keep you all updated. Thanks.

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
determined
Hmm, she tried and said it was still taking 60 to 120 seconds to load with the new module. Oh well, it was worth a try. I don't want to disable it, it works so great and I can track things really well with it. It must be something with her network.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:41 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content