Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 12:02 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Strange Locale Problem With Calendar

Arcanum

Forum User
Junior
I'm having a weird problem with the locale for a site I'm building. It's in Japanese and everything runs great, except that when a few certain kanji characters are entered they come out all garbeled and messed up. The kanji that mess up seem to be random, but the messed up kanji will always be displayed wrong no matter what encoding I put the site in.

Another wierd thing is that this has only happened to me in the event calendar. While I'm entering the kanji there's no problem, but as soon as I submit the entry it is all messed up and not displaying right. If I enter the same kanji in another part of the site, such as in a story or static page, it doesn't give me a problem. But if I enter it in the calendar it doesn't come out right.

This is what the locale section of the config.php looks like:

$_CONF['language'] = 'japanese';
$_CONF['locale'] = 'ja_JP.eucJP';
$_CONF['date'] = '%A, %B %d %Y @ %I:%M %p %Z';
$_CONF['daytime'] = '%m/%d %I:%M%p';
$_CONF['shortdate'] = '%x';
$_CONF['dateonly'] = '%d-%b';
$_CONF['timeonly'] = '%I:%M %p %Z';
$_CONF['default_charset'] = 'ja_JP.eucJP';

You can see this problem if you go to http://toyokoroedu.sakura.ne.jp/calendar.php. If you look at the entry for March 18th you will see that the kanji is not correct (there are weird symbols, what looks like windings). If you go to February and look at the first entry on the 10th there is the same problem but with a different kanji. Right now those are the only two kanji giving me problems, but no matter where I enter those kanji in the calendar they come out messed up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I've been trying to figure out why these kanji will look fine everywhere except in the event calendar, but I've had no luck. Is it something with the locale in the calendar? Or maybe something with the database? Any help would be really appreciated.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Are you saying that the same Kanji characters are working fine in stories?

There's a known issue with the kses filter messing up some asian characters, but that should happen everywhere then ...

bye, Dirk

Arcanum

Forum User
Junior
Yes, the kanji that don't work in the event calendar work fine in stories. It specifically seems to be the titles of the events that are messing up.

Since it's not happening everywhere, and only in the calendar, does that mean that it's something with the kses filter and the event calendar? Is there any way to fix it or get around the problem? It may seem small, but it's something my client wants fixed and I really don't want to have to make the site all over again in a new CMS just because a few kanji characters are messed up. I'm very happy with GeekLog and everything runs great except this. Any suggestions for a solution?

knuff

Forum User
Hi,

Really not sure if this will help you, but if you are referring to the description of the date field, like Day and Month, have a look at the language file as the calendar does not use the locale to display the days and months but the corresponding language file.

So the problem could be there.

Best Regards,
Boris

Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

Arcanum

Forum User
Junior
Boris,

Thanks for the info. My problem isn't with the date field though, as that comes out fine. It happens in the title field of an event entry. When certain kanji are entered in there they come out all messed up. But when the same kanji is entered into a story it is fine.

Maybe it has something to do with the language file or something. I looked in there before, but didn't see anything that would help my problem.

Any other suggestions? I really would like to fix this.

Thanks,

Jonah

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
No idea really ...

You could try updating kses:
  1. Download version 0.2.2

2. copy and rename the file oop/php4.class.kses.php to system/classes/kses.class.php

3. Make these changes in lib-common.php

No guarantees that it helps, though ...

bye, Dirk

Arcanum

Forum User
Junior
Dirk,

Thanks for the info on upgrading kses. I did that and it works great! No more messed up kanji anymore with the Japanese locale. Thanks a lot for your help.

Jonah

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:02 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content