Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 06:53 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

how to USE gallery?

tstockma

Forum User
I just installed this product, and it apparantly works under my GL site fine.

Does anyone know of resources on the web that talk in plain language (English, in my case) about how to use this frickin' thing?

I thought this would give me a way to let site visitors to upload pictures easily. "You don't have to be a geek," so I've been telling my visitors about my upcoming photo gallery, "to put your photos up on this site."

It took me 20-plus minutes to even find how I...as admin...can upload a photo.

For all I know, I'm just missing some config settings that opens up "upload features" that I just don't see right now. Or maybe I'm just stupid tonight. I've gone thru plenty of admin screens on Gallery in the last coupla hours.

GL's document on the GL config file is superb for revealing settings about GL, and further perusal through that config file opened my eyes to even more possibilities.

Anyone got any web pages to refer me to what I've stupidly...or not so stupidly...missed on Gallery? I'm just trying to make this do what I want, and I don't want to have a PhD in Gallery to do so.

My users are extremely non-technical, I want to serve them at their level, not try to bring them up to mine (or higher).

Banging your head Banging your head Banging your head

So how can I make it possible for a non-geek to take one look at my gallery album, and know just what to do to upload a photo? "Intuitive..." damn that word takes me clear back to my COBOL days...the world's most stable and self-documenting language ever...kinda wordy though...

Thanks for any hints! Probably I'm just being stupid about this. If it ain't easy for me, how can I make it easy for a user?

Tom
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

suprsidr

Forum User
You have to create an album called "Guest Photos" or something like that.
Then you have to set the album properties(permissions) to allow everyone or loggedin users to upload photos. Otherwise the upload link does not show for them.
I found that it helps to add a photo or two to get them started, or it would show an "empty album" and who wants to be the first?

Hope this helps
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

tstockma

Forum User
Thanks for the info! OK, once I got an album, I went thru a long trial-and-error process to understand how the thing works, I might be there by now.

There is a lot of Album config and fields to set & then figure out what does what where! And no real documentation that I'm aware of administration of those options, it's real well documented on how to install & config the package.

Thanks again...I haven't linked it in on my menus or anything yet, I need to add some photos first, but if anyone's interested, use www.southparkcity.com/gallery.
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:53 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content