Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 07:49 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

What do I need to learn to edit my GL installation?

Tallbill

Anonymous
curious
I got GL installed just fine on a test site to play around with, but I'm php stupid. I just wanted to learn how to edit blocks and whatnot, nothing to extreme. I looked in the docs, but most of the stuff is way over my head, so how do I learn?

- Tallbill

vadertech

Forum User
Look on left admin menu under Blocks link. All block content and order is controlled here. Anything specific you are lookin to do?
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

tallbill

Anonymous
Ok, I still need a way to EDIT the actual blocks. I'm guessing the thmtl files.. like headers, and other stuff.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by tallbill: Ok, I still need a way to EDIT the actual blocks.

Do you mean the content or the layout?

The content can be changed from the Admin's block editor (for normal blocks, at least). The layout can be changed by editing the template files. Block content, for example, is sandwiched between the blockheader.thtml and blockfooter.thtml files, so you'll have to edit those.

Generally speaking, you don't need to know PHP to customize Geeklog. The templates are (more or less) plain HTML. You may need some basic PHP knowledge to install certain add-ons. Others will install just fine without any PHP knowledge.

Also see Customising Geeklog

bye, Dirk

Tallbill

Anonymous
I guess right now I just cant find {menu_elements}.. in the upper right hand corner.. I want to change them, but... its just not happening. I hate being such a n00blar.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Tallbill: I guess right now I just cant find {menu_elements}

Where are you looking for it? It's in the theme's header.thtml file, i.e. /path/to/geeklog/public_html/layout/professional/header.thtml

If you're using another theme, keep in mind that some may not use {menu_elements} at all but have the menu elements hard-coded.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:49 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content