Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, May 06 2024 @ 06:12 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

upgrading geeklog

vadertech

Forum User
To be honest, it's a pain to upgrade geeklog with all the changes that I have made in the past 2 years. Why can't only the changed files be released instead of having to spend 3 hours "reinventing the wheel" and having to move every little piece?
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Blaine

Forum User
You can easily make your own change patch. Just create a delta from the new archive against your current version. There are desktop tools and server based tools.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

vadertech

Forum User
Quote by Blaine: You can easily make your own change patch. Just create a delta from the new archive against your current version. There are desktop tools and server based tools.

Hi Blaine Mr. Green

Can you give me a little more info on creating a delta. I think the word "delta" is confusing me.

Are you referring to something like Beyond Compare? If so, i couldn't imagine comparing every file. Shocked Surely you are speaking of something that will scan multiple files. Can I have a hint or buy a vowel please?
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Blaine

Forum User
Beyond Compare can compare complete directories recursively as well - I use it for this all the time.

A delta was referring to the differences. There are tools that can create a patch that would automatically create a update script from the file differences. This is done often on UNIX systems but you need to know that your changes will work with the new code. There have been some code relocated for example from lib-common.php and users.php ( a new lib-user.php was created).

It's not so easy as just distributing or applying a patch for all sites. How would a single distributed patch handle the situation where code is removed from users.php and placed in a more common library lib-user.php. Your code may have been in users.php to extend or change the adduser code. I don't see how a common patch in that case would help someone who had custom modifications in users.php. There are too many exceptions and I believe this is why we don't distribute patches.

If your only asking for a list of the changed files - then that is already provided. Look in public_html/docs/changed-files

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

vadertech

Forum User
understood, thanks for quick answer.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by vadertech: Why can't only the changed files be released instead of having to spend 3 hours "reinventing the wheel" and having to move every little piece?

A list of the files that changed since the last release is always included in docs/changed-files

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:12 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content