Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:46 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Blank 'success screen' on 1.3.11 on MacOS X

lawry

Forum User
Howdy,

I have a problem with my first-time installation of geeklog. I've followed all instructions and the installation went flawless up to the second page of the installtion script. When hitting 'next', only a bank screen appears instead of the promised success message.
Please help!
I've tried to load the main site in public_html anyway, but got only 'An SQL error has occured' (see error.log below). I've checked the discussions here and found a couple of threads discussing issues with SQL errors, but none was like mine. The corresponding line can be found in group.php and the syntax error is in the empty parenthesis, but I don't understand why the script doesn't fill in the values in parenthesis.

Help!

Thanks in advance for any support. Happy new year!

error.log:

Fri Dec 31 19:53:24 2004 - 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1. SQL in question: SELECT DISTINCT ft_name FROM gl_access,gl_features WHERE ft_id = acc_ft_id AND acc_grp_id IN ()

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The blank screen was probably caused by an error somewhere. As a result, the database wasn't set up properly, which is why you're getting the SQL errors now.

If you have access to your php.ini, set error_reporting = E_ALL and display_errors = On there, restart the webserver and try to run the install script again (drop the database and re-create an empty one first, just to be on the save side).

You should then actually see an error message instead of a blank screen.

bye, Dirk

lawry

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: The blank screen was probably caused by an error somewhere. As a result, the database wasn't set up properly, which is why you're getting the SQL errors now.

If you have access to your php.ini, set error_reporting = E_ALL and display_errors = On there, restart the webserver and try to run the install script again (drop the database and re-create an empty one first, just to be on the save side).

You should then actually see an error message instead of a blank screen.

bye, Dirk

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the info. I've checked /etc/php.ini and found the error_reporting already set to E_ALL and display_error set to On. I've even tried to set error_reporting to E_ALL|E_NOTICE, dropped the geeklog database, created it again, and re-run the install.php script. Unfortunately I still got the bank screen after step 2/2. Is it possible that:
1.) there's a problem with the browser (I'm using Safari 1.2.4 on MacOS X 10.3.7)?
2.) httpd reads the php.ini file from another location than /etc?
3.) other settings in php.ini inhibit the error message?

Here's the log from the re-start of httpd:

[Sat Jan 1 13:14:27 2005] [notice] SIGHUP received. Attempting to restart
Processing config directory: /private/etc/httpd/users/*.conf
Processing config file: /private/etc/httpd/users/xxx.conf
Processing config file: /private/etc/httpd/users/yyy.conf
[Sat Jan 1 13:14:27 2005] [notice] Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin) PHP/4.3.2 mod_perl/1.26 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7b configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sat Jan 1 13:14:27 2005] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)

Thanks again for any help.

lawry

Forum User
Dirk,

I've just excluded explanation 1.) from my earlier posting. The phenomenon occurs also with IE 5.2. I'll keep working to get install.php making any output after step 2/2 and will report any progres.

Cheers,
Markus

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by lawry: 2.) httpd reads the php.ini file from another location than /etc?

That seems to be the standard location on MacOS X. Unless you did install your own version of PHP, then it's usually in /usr/local/lib

If in doubt, use phpinfo() to find out were PHP expects to find the file.

Quote by lawry: 3.) other settings in php.ini inhibit the error message?

Also make sure the lines are not commented out.

bye, Dirk

lawry

Forum User
Everybody,

here's the answer to the blank-screen-after-installation problem. When the script install.php in public_html/admin/install tries to set up the index for MySQL data bases (version number >3.23.2), the call to DB_query in line 247 of the script never returns. This is for MySQL 4.0.23-standard on MacOS X 10.3.7. I provisionally fixed the problem by commenting out line 247 in install.php

// DB_query (current ($_INDEX));

Perhaps someone else can look into why this problem occurs, but for now that solves the installation problems.

Cheers,
Markus

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by lawry: the call to DB_query in line 247 of the script never returns. This is for MySQL 4.0.23-standard on MacOS X 10.3.7.

Hmm, never heard of this before.

Is this MacOS X Server or the consumer version with a MySQL binary from mysql.com?

Quote by lawry: I provisionally fixed the problem by commenting out line 247 in install.php

You're missing a few indexes on some tables now, though, so you're not getting the best possible performance ...

bye, Dirk

lawry

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by lawry: the call to DB_query in line 247 of the script never returns. This is for MySQL 4.0.23-standard on MacOS X 10.3.7.

Hmm, never heard of this before.

Is this MacOS X Server or the consumer version with a MySQL binary from mysql.com?

Quote by lawry: I provisionally fixed the problem by commenting out line 247 in install.php

You're missing a few indexes on some tables now, though, so you're not getting the best possible performance ...

bye, Dirk

Dirk,

I'm using the consurmer version of MacOS X (Version 10.3.7) plus MySQL from mysql.com (version 4.0.23-standard).
For now I can live with degraded performance. It'll be excellent if you (or another guru in this community) could reproduce the problem and solve it.

Cheers,
Markus

stas

Anonymous
I have this problem too
blank success screen
I'm using WinXP
in the php.ini set error_reporting = E_ALL and display_errors = On but I not see errror message
all path in the config.php are rights
Help me, please

p.s. sorry, my english not good

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by stas: in the php.ini set error_reporting = E_ALL and display_errors = On but I not see errror message

Did you restart your webserver?

bye, Dirk

stas

Anonymous
yes, restart
but not any changes

stas

Anonymous
it is log of server
[Sun Jan 30 20:05:19 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.31] File does not exist: d:/www/geek/favicon.ico
[Sun Jan 30 20:05:22 2005] [error] PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected ';', expecting ')' in d:wwwgeekpublic_htmllib-common.php on line 3248
[Sun Jan 30 20:05:22 2005] [error] PHP Fatal error: Failed opening required 'lib-story.php' (include_path='.') in d:wwwgeekpublic_htmlindex.php on line 38
[Sun Jan 30 20:05:22 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.31] File does not exist: d:/www/geek/favicon.ico

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by stas: [Sun Jan 30 20:05:22 2005] [error] PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected ';', expecting ')' in d:wwwgeekpublic_htmllib-common.php on line 3248

Well, there you have your answer ... I guess it's this problem.

bye, Dirk

stas

Anonymous
halleluya, site was installed
BUT!
in the lib-common.php i was edidting rows 3247 and 3248
$search = array( '&', '\', '', '[', ']' );

$replace = array( '&Wink', '', '<', '>', '[', ']' );

it is now

$search = array( '&', '', '', '[', ']' );

$replace = array( '&', '', '<', '>', '[', ']' );

May be it is not right? But now site working good

Thank you very much for you answers
It is very good support! blessing

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:46 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content