Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 09:16 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Block Placement

Arcanum

Anonymous
I am in the process of making a website for a small town in Japan, and I really like GeekLog because it has all of the features I need (a good Japanese translation and an excellent event calendar). Now that I have installed it and got all of the plugins I want running successfuly, I am at the design stage.

I want to have a clean layout that doesn't look like a blog. I want to get away from the traditional left, center, block design. So my question is, how can I change the block placement? I want to make my own blocks and have control of where I put them, but it doesn't seem like GeekLog gives you much control with this. Would I do this all in the template that I am editing, or someplace else?

Sorry for the newbie question, but this is my first time working with GeekLog and there's still a lot I need to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

JohnVanVliet

Forum User
well you can shut them off in the admin left block , more than likley you will nead to edit the layout you chose

Text Formatted Code
blockfooter.thtml
blockfooter-left.thtml
blockfooter-right.thtml
blockheader.thtml
blockheader-left.thtml
blockheader-right.thtml

and this one
Text Formatted Code
header.thtml

also look around and see what others have done
also see the FAQ here

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Arcanum: I want to get away from the traditional left, center, block design. So my question is, how can I change the block placement?

You don't have too much freedom here, I guess.

Basically, you can go with a 3 or 2 column layout (or even without any side blocks). Maybe some creative use of static pages (in centerblocks) could accomplish what you want. You can also use PHP in the site's header.thtml, which may also give you some more control over the layout.

I guess you already saw the theme documentation?

bye, Dirk

Arcanum

Anonymous
Thanks for the info. I read through the theme documentation and have been playing around with editing a theme a bit. I am debating which would be easier: editing a theme to get rid of some of the basic left, center, right block design or doing it through the static pages plugin. I'm thinking it might be easier to do it through static pages, so that's what I'm going to try and do now. I'll continue to work on it and see if I can get what I want.

Thanks for your help!

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:16 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content