Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 16 2024 @ 02:39 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

MySQL overloading problem

Solomon

Anonymous
worried
Hi everyone

I'm sorry if this thread already exists but I'm afraid I don't have time to rummage through the whole forum as things are getting rather urgent!

I spent a few days deciding which CMS I needed for my latest project and thought Geeklog fitted the bill just fine. However I now seem to have a rather serious problem on my hands...

My MySQL server is seriously overloading! I'm not a hardware guy at all I'm afraid, but my server hosts tell me that there were 47 processes in the process queue on top of this there was "disk bound activity further compounding the problem". I don't really know what this means but I understand it's pretty bad.

I have a lot of PHP sites running on that server, all of which dip into MySQL periodically but the only thing that has changed significantly recently is the upload of Geeklog - indeed, the day before this started happening.

It happened yesterday evening at about 5pm, it's just happened again this evening at 5pm... my hosts are now saying that this is beginning to form a pattern and are saying if it happens again tomorrow they'll demand I uninstall Geeklog.

I absolutely don't want to have to do this as this would completely screw up my last weeks work research, learning and retemplating! And Geeklog seems to be the perfect solution for my needs!

Now, I've had problems with our hosts before with various server errors and so forth but this really does seem like Geeklog is the source of the problem - or am I clutching at straws here?

Pls plsplsplspls Can anyone help!?!?

Thank you very much for any help anyone can give!

machinari

Forum User
some details might help a bit more..
How did you install Geeklog? manually or via some script offered by fantastico or something like that.
What system are you running it on? PHP/mySQL versions, etc.

my advice is to backup your files and your database. delete all files related to GeekLog and drop the relevant database tables. Then wait to see if your host complains about the problem again. It may still be their problem. if, afterwards, all is well, then install Geeklog from scratch--using the latest version, which is, I believe, 1.3.9 sr1.

Hope all goes better for you.

solomon

Anonymous
worried
OK - more details...

I attempted to install it manually via ftp but I kept getting server connection errors / time out errors etc. I ended up contacting my hosts and getting them to install it on our behalf.

GL v 1.3.9sr1
MySQL v 3.23.54
PHP v 4.2.2

Does that explain anything?

machinari

Forum User
Quote by solomon:I attempted to install it manually via ftp but I kept getting server connection errors / time out errors
This could easily account for corrupt files.
Quote by solomon:I ended up contacting my hosts and getting them to install it on our behalf.
Again, this could easily account for corrupt files. but seriously, there should not be any server overloads caused by an uncorrupted installation. I suggest you use more stable ftp client or a better connection and try agian to install it manually. That's about the best I can offer knowing that GL itself is, or shouldn't be, the cause of this type of problem.
try this thread for another perspective.

solomon

Anonymous
Thanks very much for your time - much appreciated! I've approached the MySQL forums to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

BTW - the forums look brand-spanking-new! Why not check them out?

http://forums.mysql.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:39 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content