Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 01:02 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

placement of the "admin" directory

peter

Anonymous
Hello, I am just to install my Geeklog. I would have one question. In a manual it is written, that after copying files onto the server I must call an address http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/install.php But the directory "admin" is in the directory "public_html" should I leave this and other directories in the "public_html" in it or should I copy it to the root directory? I have the newest GL version. 1.3.9. Thanks

Turias

Forum User
The best practice for installing Geeklog is to place everything in the public_html folder at the webroot of your site. Then, take all of the other files (like the config.php file, the system folder, the logs folder, etc), and place them below the webroot so that there are not directly accessible via the web. Then, just update your config.php file with your new paths and you should be good to go.

Some web service providers do not allow you to place files outside of your webroot. If this is the case, then you should do the following:

Again, place everything in the geeklog/public_html folder at your web root. Then, create another folder under your webroot and name it something else. Finally, place everything that you would have placed outside of your webroot into this folder and update your config.php paths.

The reason that you want to place all of this stuff in a separate folder is so that you can easily lock down permissions on this folder using a .htaccess file.

So, once you do this, your admin directory will be at the root of your site and you won't have to worry about typing "public_html" in your URLs.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:02 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content