Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 08:40 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

This is for the experts - Would this setup work?

ola_one

Forum User
Hello all,

It's been a while. I have built my family personal website and it has been functioning very well for the past 6 months. I am now getting into risque arena of trying Name Based Virtual Host on Apache.

Here is my current setup.

Apache installed and working
Mysql installed and working
PHP installed and Working
Geeklog installed and working

What I am contemplating is adding another GEEKLOG installation and renaming the folder geeklog2, then in my httpd.conf file, do the following:

NameVirtualHost *:80

ServerName www.feyiola.com
ServerAlias feyiola.com *.feyiola.com
DocumentRoot c:/apache/apache2/htdocs/geeklog/public_html

ServerName www.othersite.com
ServerAlias othersite.com *.othersite.com
DocumentRoot c:/apache/apache2/htdocs/geeklog2/public_html

Is the above setup okay?

Thanks guys

Ola

ola_one

Forum User
Sorry guys, I lost my Virtual host entries on the configs, so the entries I made under the NamebasedVirtual host are supposed to be for that.

Thanks

ola_one

Forum User
I also forgot to say that my OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server. There is a posting for using one CORE geeklog for multiple sites, but I think it is for Unix based systems because I kept seeing Chmod and stuff like that, so if there is any other alternative for me other than what I described above, please let me know...

Thanks

ronack

Forum User
The way I did it was to set up a different config for each site. Ie config1.php, config2.php etc. That way I can use one core gl then have a different root directory for each site. I have a seperate MySQL for each site as well.

To do an install I create the config(x) then change Install.php to reflect all instances of config.php. Go to that domain and do the install.

ola_one

Forum User
Hello Ronack,

Where do I setup the config files, inside the Geeklog Directory? Or do I create Directories for each site and copy Config1.php config2.php etc... I am running a small site so I figured the one database will do for all.

If you can show the tree view, I would appreciate it. As in does it look like the following?

1. C:/apache/apache2/htdocs/geeklog
2. .../Geeklog/site1, site2, and site3 each site is a sub under geeklog,

3. ...site1/public_html/layout/....etc
Then copy config in each of the subdirectory?

I should also point out that a geeklog site is running already, I am just adding another one or two to it.

Thanks

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:40 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content