Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 05:26 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Plugin Names

Blaine

Forum User
I'm pleased to see such great activity with new plugin development. We often have members announce they are going to do something and then we wait .. and wait There are a lot of plugin needs and having a choice of a plugin from various authors is a good thing - even if they offer a similar purpose. Competition and options are a good thing. It will only make the community stronger.

I guess I have no inherited rights over plugin names. It's just that I would not want other plugins to be confused with mine. I started to call my plugins glPlugin name months ago when I released glMessenger. I've since developed glMenu, glQuiz, glClub, glNewsletter and have a few others in development.

Anyway, I thought it best to raise my concern.

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

mthomas

Forum User
Just to be sure...
There is no problem using gl_ with my plugins?
I used the gl_ since the main tables would be named that way.

Perhaps we can convince the owner of this site? you or Dirk or who is it any way lol? to Load the gl_projects plugin I created, and either pre-populate it at least get it setup so the plugin creators can list thier plugins in a searchable format. It will help with naming conflicts.

Blaine

Forum User
I've not looked at your plugins but are they not written using the standard plugin installer style ?

There should be no dependancy on table prefix name. I have sites with gl_ or nothing as a prefix. It's possible to have multiple GL installations in the same database all using different table prefixes.

The plugin name is just that a name or markerting name. It also often (most cases) the name the plugin internally is called and referenced by the Plugin API functions and GL plugin related directories.

mthomas

Forum User
I've not looked at your plugins but are they not written using the standard plugin installer style ?

They are.
There should be no dependancy on table prefix name. I have sites with gl_ or nothing as a prefix. It's possible to have multiple GL installations in the same database all using different table prefixes.

There is no dependancy on the name except for while they are still in development after dev the sql calls get the ".$_DB_table_prefix." call added.

The plugin name is just that a name or markerting name. It also often (most cases) the name the plugin internally is called and referenced by the Plugin API functions and GL plugin related directories.

Yes but I just wanted to be sure, I *HATE* steping on peoples toes even by accident.

Blaine

Forum User
Ok - good on the table names. I was just responding to your comment
I used the gl_ since the main tables would be named that way
which I miss-interpretted.

Quote by mthomas: I just wanted to be sure, I *HATE* steping on peoples toes even by accident.
Fair enought and was just the reason I thought I'd mention it -- but I don't really have any rights over the naming convention.

Interested

Anonymous
Blaine,

Where can I find the glNewsletter plugin?

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:26 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content