Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, May 07 2024 @ 09:30 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS/RDF feed "look" strange

jmichael

Forum User
Chatty
confused
Hi! I'm new to Geeklog, so a quick intro first: Started out with PHP-Nuke, liked it, but then learned about FB's attitude problem and the ton of security holes. Decided to live with fewer gizmos and switched to Geeklog. Am a happy camper now.

Now to the 'problem': I set up some news feeds and noticed that neither IE nor Firefox would open them in the snazzy XML view mode. Both didn't know what to do with it. I even installed the updated RSS and RSS2 writers.

While it seems that most news readers can deal with the feeds, I'd still like to be able to open them from a browser from time to time. Possibly just to check they're working.

What's different about the way Geeklog generates the feeds? Other feeds open beautifully in the browser XML mode, Geeklog's don't.

THEMike

Forum User
I checked out this feed:

http://www.lndcentral.com/backend/events.rss

In Internet Exporer 6 and MyIE2 it worked fine. Opera and Mozilla displayed it as text.

Do you have the RSS file type associated with the mime type text/xml on your server?

The RSS2 class that I wrote, plus my RDF and Atom feeds work fine on my server, and I know the mime type is correct there.

You probably need to update your RSS2 writer to the latest version on my site (check my profile, this forum censor's the url) as I've made some fixes.

jmichael

Forum User
Chatty
dizzy
Thanks! This is STRANGE. Now it works. I have NO idea what is different. Today I deleted the feeds I set up yesterday (2) and set them all up again (more now).

Amazing. Truly amazing.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:30 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content