Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:08 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Parse Errors

SoundChaser

Forum User
indescribable
So, I've been trying to figure out for the last couple of days why I was getting parse errors in index.php

This is a brand new setup of Geeklog 1.3.9, and I only created a config.php and modified the lib-common.php as directed in the instructions.

So, coming over here, I looked around, and didn't spot an obvious quick answer, but then had a brainstorm: diff against a newly untarred Geeklog 1.3.9. Guess what, I found the problem:

-jailshell-2.05b$ diff index.php ~/www/index.php
41c41
< if (isset ($HTTP_GET_VARS['display']) \&\& empty ($topic)) {
---
> if (isset ($HTTP_GET_VARS['display']) && empty ($topic)) {
59c59
< if (!$newstories \&\& !$displayall) {
---
> if (!$newstories && !$displayall) {
225a226

Apparently, cPanel (at least on this host) is filtering files when they are being extracted. I don't know if this is a normal cPanel bug, or if it's something that's common. Might want to add that to an FAQ or something though...Smile

(FYI -- this is actually pretty funny -- I almost never use admin panels on my sites. I only used it this time becuase I can't ssh into my site at work because of our firewall...)

// George

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Cpanel is actually mentioned as a possible cause of problems in the troubleshooting section of the installation instructions.

bye, Dirk

SoundChaser

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: Cpanel is actually mentioned as a possible cause of problems in the troubleshooting section of the installation instructions.

Nope, I didn't miss it:

Editing the lib-common.php with "on-site" text editors built into tools like Cpanel (again, use a simple text editor instead)

You missed the subtle detail: I never edited the index.php file with cPanel, only un-tarred it. IOW - even just extracting the files with cPanel can have a bad affect.

// George

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:08 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content