Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:31 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unable to delete, edit or post stories

Gudvardur

Anonymous
worried
Hello,

I've just installed Geeklog V. 1.3.9rc2 and it went really well. However, I'm unable to post, edit or delete stories in the system even if I'm admin. I've checked the permissions on the directories, and also checked php.ini to see if register_globals is ON and it is. Also if I'm anonymous I can post new stories and then as Admin I can approve them.

The error I always get is: "You are trying to access a story that you don't have rights to. This attempt has been logged. Please go back to the story administration screen."

I've looked into the log dir for some info and all I can se there is one demo entry in each log file, that is.... access.log and error.log.

I've also browsed the forum here and still I haven't found anything that helps Frown

With thanks in advance,,,

Gudvardur

zx6r

Forum User
I had the same problem with RC1. I created a new topic and was able to delete, edit and post there just fine, and unfortunately I got sidetracked and didn't look into it further.

I have now upgraded to RC2 and can still edit stories, but now I can't add new topics or edit existing ones. I am looking into this now, but if anyone has any suggestions please advise. Here is what I get when I try and add or edit a topic:

Error at Mon Mar 1 23:51:27 2004
Please fill in the Topic ID and Topic Name fields

I can delete topics just fine. I am wondering if these two problems are related since I originally had the same story problem.

zx6r

Forum User
Hmmm, normally I read FAQ's. Frown

From the FAQ:

First of all, make sure you have register_globals=on in your php.ini file (if not: change it to on, restart your webserver and try again).

The next thing to check is that you have file_uploads=on in your php.ini (again: if it isn't, change it to on, restart your webserver and try again).

And if that didn't fix it, then you're experiencing a still unresolved problem in your server configuration (there is some indication that this might even be a bug in PHP itself). The only known workaround at this point is to remove the enctype="multipart/form-data" from the template file for the Admin story editor (layout/YourTheme/admin/story/storeditor.thtml). You will lose the ability to upload images in stories after that change, but you should then be able to create and edit stories.

I now recall that I was only having problems with stories that had images so maybe the multipart/form-data was biting me, as I have register_globals and file_uploads enabled.

However, I can now edit stories, but not topics. Strange, guess more investigation is in order.

zx6r

Forum User
Ok I need some sleep, but my problem seems to be in lib-common.php. I went back to 1.3.9rc1 and was able to add and edit topics no problem. I go to 1.3.9rc2 and can't edit topics anymore. I copied my lib-common.php from my 1.3.9rc1 install into 1.3.9rc2 and am able to add and edit topics. I will do a diff after I have had some sleep. Thanks for listening, night.

Peoii

Anonymous
I thought I'd mention that I too am having an issue with a brand new install of Geeklog 1.3.9r2 as far as editing or creating topics. I can add stories no problem, but the topic editor appears to not save the form values.

I've checked my PHP Info portion, and uploads are on, register_globals are on as well. Also, the server is runing the latest PHP 4.3.4.

Any help that could be provided in regards to this would be greatly appreciated. This is thus-far the only thing I've had issues with in regards to getting the site operating in the manner I'd like. Thanks.

Peoii

Anonymous
Also worth note is that I just tried to create a new block, and this is the first thing other than a topic that I've been unable to do.

So now both Topics and Blocks appear to be un-creatable on my install. Seems very strange, I've never had a problem with a PHP script before on this server, even with some really strange requests.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There is a bug with creating topics in 1.3.9rc2, see my post here for a fix.

I'm not aware of any problems with the creation of blocks, though.

bye, Dirk

Gudvardur

Anonymous
Hmmm, What about my problem, it doesn't have anything to do with Topics, only Stories. Any1? Eek!

Gudvardur

Anonymous
Nevermind.... the Topics fix, fixed my story problem! Laughing Out Loud Oops!

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:31 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content