Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:52 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Adding "Slashdot" style "xxx-xxx-dept" to posted articles

MrPilot

Forum User
Perhaps this would be the proper board to add this question to:

I would like to add a line to my displayed articles similar to the slashdot-style "xxx-xxx-dept" display. I have no idea where to begin, and I would like to do this myself. Where do I start? Would I just look at the "Adds the story to the database" section in story.php and add "$dept" code like the other parts of the article?

Or is this PHP newbie getting in way over his head? :-)

Thanks,
MrP

Turias

Forum User
Do you want them all to be the same? Or do you want the story submitter to be able to choose a dept? Or do you want it to be random?

MrPilot

Anonymous
I would like the story submitter to be able to make up whatever dept they want (with a reasonable character limit - maybe 50 or so) when they submit the story. The line would be in the format of "from the [whatever dept user makes up] dept". I imagine I could figure out how to edit the template file to add the surrounding text, I just need to know how to let the user compose a department and how to store and retrieve it from the gl_stories database table.

Thanks!

MrPilot

Turias

Forum User
That's going to require altering the table and doing a lot of hacking. Just examine the code where stories are added and retrieved from the database. You'll have to make quite a few changes, though.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Turias: That's going to require altering the table

Also, please note that we do not recommend making changes to Geeklog's tables. Instead, you should create your own tables (which, I'm afraid, is even more work ...).

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:52 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content