Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, April 28 2024 @ 05:03 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Public vs private access

sweyhrich

Forum User
Junior
hopeful
I am still learning about the Geeklog system (and I really like what I see so far). I would like to know if it is possible to set it up so that MOST of my site is accessible to the world, but to have SOME areas that area accessible only to the members of the club for whom the site is being set up. I'm guessing this has to do with what "group" you are assigned to when you login and get a password to the site, but after someone has access and a password, how do I determine their rights?

Also, if I have to designate to which group those who login and get a password are to be placed, will the site send me an e-mail to notify me that someone has a username and password?

Thanks for the help!

Steven Weyhrich --

samstone

Forum User
Yes it is possible.

After a person sign up. You go to Admin Only block, click on 'Users' and asign that person to a group you created.

You also need to look at the permission settings for each story, static pages, blocks, etc., you create. Each time you create something, most of the time you have a choice to allow which group to see it.

Sam

Turias

Forum User
You can easily setup your site so that most of it is accessible to everyone while some of it is only accessible to members. There are two ways to do this:

1) Monitor user submissions.
This way, the only "members" of the site are the ones you specifically approve. These members will all be a part of the group "Logged-in users" by default. If you want there to be content that only they can see, you make that content not viewable by anonymous users and instead only viewable to members.

2) Give some users special privileges.
You allow all users to sign up to the site, but you assign each special individual to a custom group; I'll call it "Club Members". Then, when you create content that you only want them to see, you block members and anonymous users from viewing the content, and then specifically allow any users in the group "Club Members" to see it.

You determine all rights by creating groups and assigning permissions to these groups. Groups can be hierarchical, too, so there is a lot of flexibility.

Geeklog really has the best permission system of the competing content management systems out there.

As to your final question, yes, Geeklog can e-mail you whenever a new user signs up on your site.

sweyhrich

Forum User
Junior
Thanks to both of you for your quick responses!
Steven Weyhrich --

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:03 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content