Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 12:11 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

General Question regarding Linux v Windows2K

m311b

Forum User
Hello - I am currently running a geeklog site under a shared Windows2K server, and due to the direction of our site, we are moving to a dedicated server. Currently I am only familar with Win2K, but I have run into different problems not using a Linux host as I cannot run plugins such as Gallery which would definately add to the site.

My questions being:

1) Is it very hard to learn how to set up, maintain, and administer a Unix/Linux host? I am quite familar w/ DOS, and I know the commands are completely different but I am used to command line consoles.

2) What should I look for when finding a dedicated host? What programs/components pre-installed? Are there other programs I should download to make it easier to maintain?

I know there are a lot of questions I am asking, but thanks in advance for your help! Geeklog has really helped get our site from being just a concept to a reality. Thanks!

samstone

Forum User
It is comparatively easy to maintain a Linux box, plus it's cheap and you don't have as many security issues to worry about as Windows.

You will find a wealth of information and a very caring community here.

Happy New Year!

Sam

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:11 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content