Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 09:36 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Gallery-netpbm-imagemagick

OFBD

Anonymous
I managed to get Gallery in bed with GL, but I do not manage to get netpbm nor imagemagick installed. I am on Linux OS Server and clear all needs with server owner, and I found all proper files, just do not know how to install the thing so it will be recognized by Gallery. Please provide any advise og any help links available for this, the most difficult part of the Gallery installation.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
This problem doesn't really have anything to do with Geeklog ...

I'd suggest checking out the Gallery homepage. They have a nice and extensive FAQ - see if your problem is covered there.

bye, Dirk

samstone

Forum User
If you don't have a clue, don't try to install Imagemagick. You will need root access of the server to do it. I suggest that you ask your server owner to do it, since he will need it for other purpose anyway. Most webhost have it installed. I don't use Gallery anymore so, I don't know if it uses GD which is part of the php. If it does use GD, you don't even have to install anything.

Netpbm is very easy to install and the Gallery site has an archive for you to unpack it and upload it into somewhere simply like a CGI directory for you to start using it.

Quality wise, I like Imagemagick. But if you don't have other choices, Netpbm should be the simplest to install. You don't even need the server owners permission because it is to be installed on your own directories.

Sam

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
When setting up Gallery you must provide the path to the netpbm binaries. If you provide or bad path or have a system without the binaries installed then that could be your problem. The Gallery installation script walks you through this quite well, IMHO. As recommended, use the Gallary site as a resource if you have continued problems.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

emagin

Forum User
Regular Poster
I've set up imagemagick on Win32 and it seems to work well, although its on-the-fly image conversion sometimes leaves images with weird blotches or strips of black across them, so I have to rebuild thumbnails.

But I usually set everything up directly on the server at c:ImageMagick

I realize some of you on hosted solutions don't have that option, just wanted to give you the feedback that it works on Win32.

On the other hand I can't get Netpbm to work at all.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:36 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content