Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 06:25 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

What is expected performance on a 400Mhz G4 Mac?

kenbotwinick

Forum User
Hi,

I'm looking to hear from other Mac users to compare page creation times.

I get an average 5 second page creation time with a default install using Complete Apache 2 2.0.47, Complete MySQL 4.0.15, Complete PHP 4.3.2r2 on a 400Mhz G4 Mac OS X 10.3 machine with 640Mb of RAM.

Is this all I can expect with my hardware? Is there any customization I need to do to improve this? Are there any PHP acceleration packages for OS X?

Thanks to any Mac users that share their experiences/benchmarks.

Ken

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Getting meaningful numbers is not easy as so many factors can come into play here: Version(s) of the software involved, number of stories, installed plugins, the theme, etc. etc.

5 second sounds a bit long to me, though. My trusty Dual-G4/450(*) usually serves pages at around 3 seconds, and that is with a LOT running in the background.

There are a few tips in the FAQ and more tips can be found in the forum, if you search around a bit.

bye, Dirk

(*) MacOS X 10.3, PHP 4.3.4, Apache 1.3.29, MySQL 4.0.16, 1.25 GB RAM

kenbotwinick

Forum User
Well, if you have a dual processor machine and only shave off 2 seconds, I guess I'll have to have my site hosted professionally to get down to 1 second average times... Or I could buy a G5... :-) But I'll check out the faq and maybe that will help.

I wish .Mac had php and mysql since I've already paid for 100Megs there for a year...

I like your PVP icon, BTW... It's one of my daily reads...

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:25 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content