Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 07:12 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Many installation problems

masterzora

Forum User
confused
I\'m having a LOT of trouble installing this. It\'s been taking me hours to get as far as I have, but I know it will be worth it in the end. My current problem is very difficult. I\'m pretty sure that I\'ve done everything correctly so far, but when I run the check script, I get this long message:
Parse error: parse error in /home/cygnus/public_html/lib-common.php on line 2664 LBLBLBLBLBLB Testing your Geeklog installation ... LB Testing logs directory ... LBCould not open error.log and access.log for writing. Please check that you have set the logs directory and the files error.log and access.log in that directory to chmod 775.LB Warning: fileperms(): Stat failed for error.log (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/cygnus/public_html/admin/install/check.php on line 75 Warning: fileperms(): Stat failed for access.log (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/cygnus/public_html/admin/install/check.php on line 76 LB Current permissions for logs: 0 LB Current permissions for error.log: 0 LB Current permissions for access.log: 0 LB LB Testing backend directory /backend/ ... LB Export of Geeklog headlines is switched off - backend directory not tested. LB User photos are disabled - userphotos directory not tested.LB Images in articles are disabled - articles directory not tested.LB Results: 1 of 4 tests performed: 0 successful, 1 failed. LB Test failed! Warning! Your Geeklog site is not set up properly. Please fix the errors listed above! LBLB
I know the required permissions are on 775, and I\'ve tried changing them all to 777 with no avail. Also, I have no clue what the parse error is about. I have little programming background, it only extends into HTML and CSS, and a tiny bit of VBasic, and I have no desire to count out that many lines anyway. If anybody has any idea how to help me on any part of that, please do.
~"You have a sister that's not your mother?"-stupid quote from a friend of mine

destr0yr

Forum User
makesure both the file error.log and access.log and the logs folder they are in have 777 perms... ? worst thing that can happen is it won\'t work! Smile
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The parse error in lib-common.php may be an indication that this file is corrupted. Please start with a fresh copy of that file and don\'t use WinZip or Dreamweaver (as mentioned in the installation instructions). The \"LB\"s are an indication that you may have magic_quotes_runtime=on in your php.ini. Geeklog won\'t work with that setting. Please switch it to \"off\". When you\'ve chmod\'ed directories and files to 775 and still get errors, try 777 (again, as mentioned in the installation instructions). Actually, the errors you get seem to indicate that it couldn\'t find the error.log etc. at all. That may be a path problem. But try fixing the above problems first and see if that helps. bye, Dirk

masterzora

Forum User
I\'ve done it with all 775 and with all 777 with no avail. I found it interesting, though, that even though the folder says either 775 or 777, when I go to change permissions, it had lower permissions checked than what I had and what it said and I can\'t figure out why.

masterzora

Forum User
If it weren\'t for all the time and effort I\'ve put in this thusfar, I\'d almost feel like starting over... I\'ll have to do that if I get nowhere. Anyway, I re-unzipped lib-common.php using WinRAR (like I did originally) and had NO results. I\'m wondering about the magic_quotes_runtime in php.ini, if you mean on my actual computer, it\'s already off. If you mean on the site, I wouldn\'t know how to access that (I\'m still not sure at the moment that you can, and if you can, I never knew that before.) I have tried chmod\'ing the directories and files to 775 and 777 and, like I said, no effect whatsoever. And, unless there is something I seriously don\'t understand about the paths, I am positive they are correct. I hope I figure this out. If I do, it will be a good thing I went through all of this on my personal page. Shortly after school starts, I will be working on a page for our school Future Business Leaders of America chapter. In fact, it was at and FBLA workshop that we found out about Geeklog.... funny how that works out... anyway, help if you can, please. Thank you in advance.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Let\'s do things one after the other. Are you still getting that parse error? If so (and since you said you used WinRAR) - what did you use to edit the lib-common.php? You can check the magic_quotes_runtime setting on your server by using the script in http://yoursite/admin/install/info.php - that will display all the PHP settings and buried in there somewhere, there\'s also magic_quotes_runtime. As I said, the problems with the file permissions may be caused by the other problems, so lets ignore them for now. You need to get rid of the parse error and of those LBs first. bye, Dirk

DTrumbower

Forum User
I\'m assuming this is going to be used for hight school? If so I can install it for you. Personal email me if you want. Otherwise, follow Dirks help.

masterzora

Anonymous
I am still getting the parse error. I edited the file using the site\'s file editor thingamajig. Also, I checked admin/install/info.php and it said that magic_quotes_runtime is OFF. It says magic_quotes_gpc is ON, but I don\'t know what the difference is between that and magic_quotes_runtime. If this can\'t be figured out, I guess I\'ll just restart the entire installation. It probably would be easier, anyway.

Mark

Anonymous
Try using a different file editor. You don\'t need to reinstall everything. The editor you are using is most likely corrupting the file.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by masterzora:Also, I checked admin/install/info.php and it said that magic_quotes_runtime is OFF. It says magic_quotes_gpc is ON
That\'s fine then. Try getting rid of the parse error and things will probably start working. As Mark already suggested, try another editor (starting with a fresh copy of lib-common.php again). bye, Dirk

masterzora

Forum User
Thank you, everyone! I\'m now down to a single error on admin/install/check.php
1146: Table \'cygnus_geeklog.gl_blocks\' doesn\'t exist
As usual, I have no idea what that means! Please help!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
It means that your tables haven\'t been created properly (or at all). Check the contents of your database - you should have 39 tables in there. When you ran the install script, did it get to the success page (success.php)? bye, Dirk

masterzora

Forum User
Now, my checks all work, but the when I try to install it says
1050: Table \'gl_access\' already exists
I don\'t know why it\'s saying that, becuase there are no duplicates as far as I know.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, now it seems it did create the tables (as explained in the installation instructions). Drop the database one more time and run the install script again, just to be on the save side ... bye, Dirk

masterzora

Forum User
I would do that, if I knew what you meant. Like I said, I haven\'t had any PHP, database, etc. experience whatsoever.

masterzora

Forum User
I\'ve succesfully installed Geeklog finally! YAY!!!! Now, I just gotta mess around and figure things out Smile My only current problem is that I can\'t delete the admin folder! It won\'t let me! Any ideas why?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by masterzora: I\'ve succesfully installed Geeklog finally! YAY!!!!
Cool
Quote by masterzora: My only current problem is that I can\'t delete the admin folder! It won\'t let me! Any ideas why?
Something to do with the file permissions on your webserver, probably. The directory and files in there may have been automatically set to read-only when you uploaded them. Try changing their permissions to 777 and try deleting them again. bye, Dirk

masterzora

Anonymous
YAY!! now the admin folder is deleted (turns out I just had to empty the stupid trashcan first!) Now, I\'m stuck with one more problem. I logged in as Admin with password, as I was supposed to. I changed my password, but now I can\'t get into my account! I\'m pretty sure I put in the correct e-mail address, too, but I asked to retrieve my password at 4 AM. Now, at 1:20, I still don\'t have an E-mail telling me my password. Is there a way to access the logins or passwords or to bypass it? This just won\'t work if I\'m locked out from my own site!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by masterzora:Is there a way to access the logins or passwords or to bypass it?
Since you have access to the database, you could set the value for the passwd field for the first entry in table gl_users to 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99 - that would reset the password to \"password\". Or you could go to the URL that would have been in the email that you did not get: http//yoursite/users.php?mode=newpwd&uid=1&rid=xxx where \"xxx\" is the value of the field pwrequestid for the first entry in table gl_users. bye, Dirk

masterzora

Anonymous
Thank you again Dirk! You are the best. Actually, I thought it was weird. I\'ve got a friend named Dirk and he\'s not the brightest chap around. It was weird getting help from a Dirk for once! Now, the entire site is up. I\'ve only got a few changes left to make it MY site, but as far as I know, it is functional. http://www.distorted-visions.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:12 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content