Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 12:46 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Punctuation coding showing in stories

jason559

Forum User
Regular Poster
Sorry if my last posts didn\'t make any sense, but I\'m not sure the best way to describe what is happening, so I will start fresh: When someone posts a story at my site using the \"cut and paste\" method from their word processor it posts the actual coding for the punctuation, instead of the character itself. For instance a story that had the word \"their\'s\" would appear as: \" their& # 8 2 1 7 ;s \" Or, \"there is!\" would appear in the story as: \"there is& # 8 2 3 0 ;\" Now, my question is how can I fix this problem so that geeklog will \"auto replace\" this odd (html?) coding with the actual character it should be? (read below only for more explanation) I attempted to recreate this situation in this post, but for some reason it actually does replace the coding with the correct character. So perhaps the site operator could tell me the secret? Or it could have been addressed in a geeklog update that I haven\'t yet implemented?

DTrumbower

Forum User
Theres no secret. It normally works that way. I\'m not sure what the problem would be.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by jason559:For instance a story that had the word \"their\'s\" would appear as: \" their& # 8 2 1 7 ;s \"
The person who entered \"their\'s\" didn\'t use the proper apostrophe character. If I\'m not mistaken, character 8217 is a \"right single quotation mark\" - that may look like an apostrophe in some fonts, but it\'s the wrong character to use here. bye, Dirk

jason559

Forum User
Regular Poster
The posts are in \"text\" format if that makes any difference. So, basically if this is happening something is wrong with my geeklog installation then? Dirk, As a key person here, do you agree that this shouldn\'t happen normally?

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:46 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content