Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:15 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Security Comparison

Chrys

Anonymous
confused
I am trying to decide on which blog to use for my site. One of my primary concerns is security. Can any one tell me how geeklog compares to phpNuke or postNuke in regards to security and coding standards? Thanks.

Mark

Anonymous
If security is important to you, then I do not recommend PhpNuke. They have had more than their fair share of security exploits. They are very slow in fixing these but worse yet the info gets buried very quickly. The developer has restricted distribution of minor releases which contain security and bug fixes to his paying club members only. It will cost you $10/month to stay current in the software. A new one is distributed about every 3-5 weeks making it extremely tough to maintain a site. If you download the latest major release, then you have to look around for security fixes put out by others which need to be manually added. Not too long ago, these weren\'t even available for download on the main site. Because minor releases are restricted, some sites are distributing black-market copies of the upgrades and hackers have been playing around inserting malicious code in some of these to break into people\'s sites. Of the other two, I would put Geeklog ahead of PostNuke in security. Geeklog hasn\'t had as many incidents. Both are very quick in distributing fixes and do not bury the news like PhpNuke does. Dirk goes an extra step and shoves it in our faces by posting the problem as a featured story and leaving it up for quite awhile on the main page. Geeklog and PostNuke both offer fine grain security while PhpNuke does not right now. I think Geeklog\'s system is much easier to understand and use. As for coding, all three are primarily written procedurally. Geeklog and PostNuke have been moving towards OO. The next generation of each is planned to be all or most in OO. The developer of PhpNuke has said he is not going that route.

Chrys

Anonymous
Thanks for the info Mark. I think I\'m going to go with Geeklog.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:15 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content