Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 12 2024 @ 10:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Missing User Functions and Menu


Status: offline

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 07/21/03
Posts: 49
Location:NY, USA
I got past the mysql issues (and as a newbie to mysql I patted myself on the back) but when I finally got the the success page, the main page does not show the user functions block, its missing all the menu links, and it seems that all \"included\" text is missing! Where do I begin to look to troubleshoot this type of thing? Thanks!
 Quote

Status: offline

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 06/24/02
Posts: 352
Location:Colorado, USA
First make sure that this isn't a caching problem with your browser. Clear all your cookies and empty the cache for your browser and try reloading the page. It is amazing what some browsers will cache...

Once you rule out the browser, I'd suggest checking out the language files and make sure that they are complete. If you're not using the default english language file, try switching to that and seeing if the site works.

I'm not sure what else to suggest, except maybe posting the URL to your site in this thread so people can take a look (or else posting the URL to a screen shot of your index.php). It would make trouble shooting a lot easier.

Good Luck,
Vinny
 Quote

Status: offline

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 07/21/03
Posts: 49
Location:NY, USA
Thanks for the reply. I\'m not able to work on it this second, but I was hoping someone might know how the user functions and menu items get included into the main page so I can start looking at the right template/script for errors. Another wierd thing is that the login windows appear, but there is no text there, just \":\" colons! I\'m afraid I may have some corrupted templates or incorrect paths to them
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 01/12/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany
This looks very much like an incomplete or corrupted language file. bye, Dirk
 Quote

Status: offline

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 07/21/03
Posts: 49
Location:NY, USA
cheerful
Dirk (cool name by the way): Just to close out the issue, you were spot on man! I had been using \"Transmit\" (a Mac OSX FTP client - unlicensed) to upload the files, and although this is as yet unverified, it seems that the program when unregistered will upload file with \"zero\" length after a certain amount of time. I hope I am not misrepresenting them here, the program is really nice, but it sent files of \"0\" length up to the site in random places. I thought I had gotten all the files uploaded again OK (using Rbrowser) but I had missed the entire language directory! They were all zero length. I re-uploaded the files in the language directory and viola! Thanks very much for the response, you have made a dream become possible for me! (Seriously, I have been longing to run geeklog ever since I first ran across it). YOU ROCK!!! Nate
 Quote

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:41 am.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content