Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:22 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Group Access Mgmt Block

Blaine

Forum User
This Geeklog PHP function was written to allow site admins to quickly check and update access rights for a group. Geeklog uses the concept of features or access rights. Examples of these rights are story.edit or chatterblock.user

It is not possible, using the Group Editor, to edit the feature access rights for the core Geeklog groups like the "logged-in Group". Modifying the access manually via SQL required an understanding of several linked group access and features assignment tables.

This block simplifies that task for the site admin and Plugin Developers can continue to add new access rights for flexibility in managing access and control.Plugin Developers often create new access features so site admins can create custom groups but it's often a pain if the site admin wants to give access to all-users or all logged-in users to the new feature.

This Block allows you to check a group to see if it has access to a specific feature. You can then add or remove access to this feature for that group.

** NOW Caution should be noted ** As it's possible to remove access for root as well to a feature.

I have taken time to check that this block works but I can not be responsible for your data integrity.

Please do report any problems if you encounter them -- Use the discussion forum on my site langfamily.ca for support.

It is available now on this site in the Downloads area or on my site.

Cheers,
Blaine

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

knuckles

Forum User
Chatty
Well, if no one else will post a comment then I will. I think this block rocks! Thank you very much for the hard work on this Blaine.

Schrem

Anonymous
Dear Blaine, I would very much want your block to work on my site as well. Being a newbie it was a bit though so far since I was unable to succeed instantly. I copied the script for phpblock_groupAccess.php in my lib-custom.php. I tried several locations in the lib-custom .php script with no success. Where exactly should I place the script for phpblock_groupAccess.php in lib-custom.php? Thanks for your help, Harald

Blaine

Forum User
Harald, It is a self contained function so it can go anywhere as long as its not inside another function. Probably at the end of the file - just before the closing PHP tag <?. Once it is in lib-common, Geeklog will know about it. You can then reference the function when setting up the PHP Block in the block editor.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I assume you meant to write "lib-custom", not "lib-common" ;-) bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hey Blaine, this is a great add-on. Thank you very much.

Blaine

Forum User
Hehee -- yep. It was early :-)

Schrem

Anonymous
Thank`s a lot for your help Blaine and Dirk. I am a complete newbie, but I have to say I enjoy GeekLog and the open community very much. Best wishes for all, Harald

Schrem

Anonymous
Forget to tell you that the bolck rocks and works fine. Best wishes, Harald

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:22 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content