Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 06:39 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Does GL work on PHP 4.3.2

Anonymous

Anonymous
Just a quick inquiry on whether or not I should upgrade to php 4.3.2 on a Windows installation. I had some trouble in the past with this but I was wondering if anyone had gotten Geeklog to work with the latest version of PHP. The latest version is supposed to provide a fix for forking external processes. The 4.3.1 version would invoke cmd.exe to run the shell and call the external process. If you have removed privileges for this program, you would then recieve an "Unable to fork..." message. As far as I know, there is not another way around this. Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I'm not aware of any problems that are related to specific versions of PHP (not counting PHP bugs and assuming a relatively recent version of PHP - no guarantees for PHP 4.0.1). Actually, I'm running Geeklog on PHP 4.3.3rc1 locally without any problems. bye, Dirk

ndarlow

Forum User
Junior
geeklog works fine for me with both php-4.2.3 and php-accelerator. Regards, Neil Darlow M.Sc.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Well... GL doesn't work for me with PHP 4.3.2. I was running PHP 4.1.2 and it was working just fine. But then I upgraded to PHP 4.3.2 (building from sources) and GL stop working :-( Configuration? The default first, and later the same that was working in 4.1.2. Solution? Downgrade... I haven't enough time to find the problem. Regards.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Sorry! I forget to mention I running Debian GNU/Linux and the problem is that GL don't allow me to add news, comments, polls... :-P bye.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Yes, Geeklog does work on 4.3.2. Please remember that new installs of PHP now default register_globals to 'Off' in php.ini. You will have to turn that on.---The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

vbgunz

Forum User
Is register_globals = off in your php.ini? Usually this is the number one problem in not being able to post after upgrading your version of php. Good luck Smile---Victor B. Gonzalez
Victor B. Gonzalez -
http://aeonserv.com

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thank you for your answer... but no, register_globals is On :-P So, I think it would be right.

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
"Well... GL doesn't work for me with PHP 4.3.2." Please explain what you mean by "doesn't work" and perhaps we'll be able to help you trouble shoot a bit more. -Vinny

Anonymous

Anonymous
I performed the php 4.3.2 installation successfully and turned globals on. That solved my previous upgrade problem. I found a fix for the unable to fork message on a windows machine, where permissions to cmd.exe have been intentionally removed. My solution was to write my own version of cmd.exe that checked for the parameters being passed to it to make sure it was a call to my external program, in my case it was a call to convert.exe. If authorized to run convert, it would just pass through the other command line parameters and call convert.exe directly, otherwise it would exit entirely. In addition, the program can be dropped into the appropriate directory where the php script is located and it will execute properly. You must have execute permissions on the file. Because its located in the current directory, my version of cmd.exe will execute instead of the real one. In addition, I like this solution, because its 100% secure, it only calls the designated program (its hardcoded), and it doesnt leave my web server wide open to huge security holes. I hope somebody finds this helpful.

NA

Anonymous
Correction, the new cmd.exe was placed in the web root, and everything worked correctly.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:39 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content