Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 08:17 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Writing, editing stories--you do not have access to the story administration page

jlhughes

Forum User
I'm trying to grant story writing and admin access to users in Geeklog 1.3.7sr2. The user has been given story admin access. When the user "creates" or "edits" an article, they get the correct admin story editor interface. HOWEVER, any attempt to save article generates this message: Sorry, you do not have access to the story administration page. Please note that all attempts to access unauthorized features are logged I tried creating a group with story editing specified. Still no luck. Ideas? John Hughes

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Make sure those users also have proper permissions for the topic(s) they're trying to post under. bye, Dirk

jlhughes

Forum User
I've checked all of the permissions for the topics. That's not the problem. Only ROOT users are allowed to save articles, either new or edited. You can give a user every permission, but only ROOT gets permission to save an article. I've checked this on two different installs. Both have the same behavior. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who is able to give a user story admin access and then have them save the story.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, would you take my word for it? I just tested it here on geeklog.net (which is running a mostly-stock-1.3.7sr2 install). On my first attempt (with a newly created user that I have given Story Admin permissions), I wasn't able to save any stories. But that was because of the topic permissions - and it was also obvious from the Admin's story list, where the "Access" column listed "Read-only" access for all the existing stories. After setting the topic permissions accordingly, it worked. Don't forget to change the group! Per default, topics belong to the Topic Admin group, but since Story Admins are not necessarily in that group, you will need to change that. bye, Dirk

jlhughes

Forum User
OK. It was the topic settings. They were set to topic admin. For my purposes, logged in user was what I wanted. Thanks, Dirk

longsword

Anonymous
Hi Dirk I have tried your recommendations but is does not work! The only way to get admission to ad stories is to have ROOT access. I have tried several setups giving everything but root, and that did not help at all. So… I get lost.. I launched the Geeklog (1.37SR2) two days ago… and no one can use it… ;-( How to get any further? /jes

Anonymous

Anonymous
same jazz, just responding to put emphasis on the matter. I tried adjusting privs to no avail. Perhaps some step by step to shed light?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I can only repeat:
  • Add user to Story Admin group
  • Make sure the topic s/he is supposed to post to is owned by a group s/he also belongs to (e.g. Story Admin)
  • Make sure group access for the topic is at least 'R'

That should work. If it doesn't please give much more details (your topic settings, group(s) the user belongs to, etc.).

bye, Dirk

hagenjam

Forum User
Hi Dirk, I'm new to GL - have been evaluating it about 2 months. I experienced this same story admin problem when I upgraded to GeekLog v1.3.7sr2. Turned to the GL forum for the first time a few minutes ago. Applied your tip re: topic permissions. Problem soved. Q.E.D. The functionality of the user/group management tools of GL are impressive, if not obvious at first. Keep up the good work.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:17 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content