Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 08:07 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

More Install Woes; or Joni: 0; Geeklog Gremlins: 34

jonimueller

Forum User
Junior
I decided, after reading some of the threads here, to IGNORE the error about the MySQL database and just run "install.php" -- it let me set up a database table (woot!). Everything seemed to be churning along nicely; I threw my arm out of its socket patting myself on the back until I got this little love note: <PRE> Template Error: set_root: /home/jonielectric.com/data/geeklog//layout/XSilver/ is not a directory. Halted. </PRE> See those double slashes? I've gone over my config.php file with a fine tooth comb (see my previous post, it contains all the relevant path and site info) and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. So close, and yet so far. Dirk should do what Ben and Mena Trott do on their Movable Type site: charge (heavily; believe me, I'd be HAPPY TO PAY!) for installation.... Dirk, are you listening?! Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this! Okay, now I'm going to go get my fourth cup of coffee of the morning! Joni ;-)
My Geeklog Site:
http://www.ro-jo.net.com/geeklog/

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Okay, I decided not to publish your initial cry for help since you already got that sorted out. Ignore the double slash you're seeing in the error message - it doesn't do any harm. Are you sure that path is correct, specifically the "data" bit? In your original post, you had $_CONF['path'] = '/home/jonielectric.com/geeklog/'; $_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path_html'] . '/home/jonielectric.com/data/geeklog/'; Now, that second one doesn't make sense. It seems you moved or renamed Geeklog's public_html folder - so you should take out the "$_CONF['path_html'] ." bit and just have $_CONF['path_html'] = '/home/jonielectric.com/data/geeklog/'; (or whatever your correct path is). You did something similar with the $_CONF['site_admin_url'] - please revert that (to what it said in the original config.php file). Since I'm not sure if the above made too much sense, I'll try to put it another way: In config.php, you need to set $_CONF['path'] to the directory where your config.php is. You also need to set $_CONF['site_url'] to the URL of your site. That's all you need to do in most cases. Should you decide to move or rename the public_html directory, then you also need to set $_CONF['path_html'] - but you should set to an absolute path then and take out the "$_CONF['path'] ." after the '=' sign. All the other paths and URLs defined in config.php do NOT need to be changed. Leave them alone. Hope that helps. bye, Dirk

jonimueller

Forum User
Junior
Hi, Dirk. I was hoping you'd say, "Joni, just send me a hundred dollars and I'll make it right for you!" The problem with my server is that instead of "public_html" they have "data" as the public folder. That's why I made that change. I'll carefully look over what you posted (it actually made sense the way you explained it in your second paragraph) and retry! The trouble with me is that it's now become personal between me and Geeklog and I WILL install it whether it likes it or not. The more it struggles, the more determined I am! Hopefully, I can post some happy news later this afternoon! If these hosts would just all get together and make everything the same (public_html, data, whatever), then there could be one set of universal instructions and everyone could be on the same sheet of music.... In a perfect world....
My Geeklog Site:

jonimueller

Forum User
Junior
Yayness!!! Dirk finally gave me the mental "slap upside the head" that I needed. Just so someone else can learn from my mistakes, here's what I had to tweak:

IN SERVER SETTINGS, THIS IS ORIGINAL:
Text Formatted Code

// you only need to change this if you moved or renamed the public_html directory
$_CONF['path_html']         = $_CONF['path'] . 'public_html/';
HERE'S MINE:
Text Formatted Code
// you only need to change this if you moved or renamed the public_html directory
$_CONF['path_html']         = '/home/jonielectric.com/data/geeklog/';
WHAT I CHANGED:
(1) I took out the part in bold because my host's public_html directory is actually called data:

$_CONF['path_html'] = $_CONF['path'] . 'public_html/';

and substituted the full path for the string public_html/

(2) Be mindful if your FTP program automatically converts everything to LOWERCASE. This can play havoc with the Themes directory because their names are in upper/lowercase.

And as Dirk said, other than the usual changing URLS, none of the other stuff was touched.

Now, I'm off to play in Geeklog!!!

Joni ;-)
My Geeklog Site:

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:07 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content