Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:48 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Install Problems

oeki

Anonymous
The INSTALL-file says: point your browser to http://yourgeeklogdomain/admin/install/install.php but there is no admin directory the docs says set up your database with
/path/to/mysql/mysql -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD geeklog /path/to/mysql/mysql -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD geeklog
but instead of *.sql there is a mysql_tableanddata.php in the sql directory how do I set up geeklog?

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
Read the INSTALL file. If your site is www.foobar.com then you need to run: http://www.foobar.com/admin/install/install.php DO NOT manually setup geeklog. That statement again, DO NOT manually setup geeklog.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

cotb

Anonymous
Thanks for your help, but the installation instructions say: "As of 1.3.5, we have reverted back to a manual setup for Geeklog server configurations but we still use the installation script to create database structures or apply updates:"

That statement again, "As of 1.3.5, we have reverted back to a manual setup for Geeklog server configurations but we still use the installation script to create database structures or apply updates:" His question still stands.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

What exactly is the problem here? This is a honest question ...

I think the installation instructions are clear: You configure everything in config.php, then you call the install script that sets up the database for you. Plain and simple, I would think (okay, don't forget the path in lib-common.php).

In versions prior to 1.3.5, you had an install script where you could enter everything (paths, site name, etc.) in your browser. That is the part that has been reverted to a "manual setup". The install script has been stripped down so that it only sets up the database for you. And I don't think you really want to do this manually ...

bye, Dirk

lcox

Forum User
Junior
My first install of GeekLog had a similar problem. The issue is that the .tar ball gets unpacked potentially at the wrong level. The directions say to unpack *inside* your web directory. If you do that, say you're on a shared host and your web directory is public_html, you unpack it and you get a geeklog-releasegoeshere directory with public_html and all the rest under that. So, if you follow the instructions, admin and all the rest are not at the right spot given the URL you're supposed to hit. A simple tar xvf does not unpack the thing in a way that fits a lot of simple installs. I'd like to unpack it directly into my toplevel web folder for example (though this removes the potential of having multiple installs of the same thing and just adjusting a sym link.) If you could unpack directly into your web folder as instructed, then the instructions would work.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:48 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content