Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 06:20 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Transparent Center column

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have seen a few layouts where the center column is transparent to allow a visible backround image (The Glass Theme, Pigstyles site, etc.) and I have been trying to get a similar result on mine. I cannot for the life of me figure out what to change to make the center column transparent. Getting the backround image is easy but the reast has stumped me. The theme I want to adjust is Simple Orange and my site URL is http://www.racingnationonline.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sonjeir

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That effect is done using CSS, so you should have a look at the stylesheet (style.css) of those theme. Look for "background: fixed" or something similar. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Not sure what effect you're going for, but you may want to try a semi-transaparent background. It makes your text a little more readable. You'd do that using a CSS Filter effect, something like this: <code> filter: alpha(opacity=80, style=0); -moz-opacity: 80%; playing with the #'s will, of course, change the level of transparency </code>

Anonymous

Anonymous
Yeah Dirk I got that part. If you visit my site you will see the backround image is there, however when the rest of the page loads the backround is covered by the "backrounds" for the stories in the center column. If you look at the Glass theme or if you had seen the old Pigstyle site you would know what I am talking about. You can see the backround through the stories. This is the effect I am looking for but can not find the place to remove the backround from the center column stories. ...but thanks anyways for trying Sonjeir

rawdata

Forum User
I don't use this theme, but it looks like the stories get their background color from the class "storybox." So, go inside your style sheet and find that class and change the background attribute to transparent or remove the color white. You may have to experiment in fading the background image like the other guy pointed out here for people to be able to read the text of the stories.

thechad

Forum User
I've been trying the same thing to no avail. Its almost like no matter what I do to the storyblocks there's another white background behind them.

thechad

Forum User
nm I got it working, I had a bgcolor=FFFFFF in my header.html that was messing it up. After removing that it works fine!

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:20 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content