Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, June 13 2024 @ 07:52 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

What is the s:4: thing called?

Status: offline


Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 08/04/03
Posts: 1298
in table gl_conf_values there is a field microsummary_short where the contents is s:4:"GL: ";

What is the s:4: thing called? Do other CMS have similar things? I`m just wondering because my hoster moved server and the one thing he spoiled was the s:4: thing. So I wondered if this is soooo unusual in programming?

Status: offline


Site Admin
Registered: 09/27/05
Posts: 1468
It is information that has been serialized. It allows PHP to store multiple pieces of information in one string. It is common practice to use.

The "s" refers to string and the 4 is the length of the string.

I am not sure why your hoster was messing around with your database but any fields he changed you will need to update the number in the string to be equal to the length of the string.

If you migrated servers, the easiest way to update your website to work on the new server is to copy the install directory back on to your website (using the same version of Geeklog you have already installed if you do not want to upgrade) and run the migration. This way your domain name etc.. will get updated. You can also run the rescue found in the install to change any other config critical settings.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:52 am.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content