Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 09:23 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Media Gallery Manage Media not working for one album in particular

worldfooty

Forum User
Hi,

I've got a few albums using Media Gallery, added maybe a year ago (I'm not a big user of them yet). In the last few days I added a new album, but when I use Manage Media to edit the title or set the image I want as album cover, then select save, when I go back to the album nothing has changed.

I've tried lots of different edits, nothing sticks. I've tried being my usual account with reasonable privileges, and an admin account, but no help. I've tried the same changes on my other albums and it works fine.

And nothing I change or add in the Title/Description/Keywords column stays there after I press save. Not just title but Description/Keywords too.

So what is different about this album? All I can think of is that it was created hidden, has 53 images which is more than the others, and was created with the setting "Use Filename as Caption". That could explain why I can't change the title in Manage Media, but not why I can't change Description/Keywords or the album cover.

When I select a specific image and Edit it, then my changes do work (not optimal though, as the time taken gets reset too). It's just Manage Media that is the problem for me, on this one album.

I then proceeded to create another new album, the same settings as before, Hidden and Filename as Caption, and it works fine - I can use Manage Media to change the cover and titles. So just one dud album, but with 53 images I don't really want to have to upload again, 4 at a time.

I also couldn't see anything in the geeklog error log - the last entries were when the files successfully uploaded hours ago, oh, and 2 hacker attempts to use MG to do something (failed as invalid users). I'm using MG 1.5.1 and GL 1.5.2.

BTW, the reason I want to change the titles is that although I was happy to use the filenames as captions, they all got turned into lowercase by MG.

Any ideas? Obviously a messy one. I can see me just re-loading the album.

Cheers,
Brett

::Ben

Forum User
Hello,

Can you try to move the 53 images in the new working album.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

worldfooty

Forum User
By move do you mean just add them again, or is there an option somewhere to change which album they are in? I can't see such an option.

worldfooty

Forum User
Ooh, I did see this in the documentation:

Deleting Albums

An album can be deleted by selecting the Delete button in the album edit screen. If you select to delete an album, you will be given the option to move all sub-albums and media to another album or delete them. If you choose to have all the contents deleted, it is permanent, there is no undo function and all the media and sub-albums will be removed.

Scary, but I guess worth a try since I'm thinking of doing it all again anyway.

worldfooty

Forum User
Well, I did it. I deleted the couple of photos in the test album which was working okay, then I deleted the broken album, transferring the photos over. But now the new album shows as having no cover, even if I set it in Manage Media, and again, changing the titles there no longer works.

Strange, if it was just something about these photos you wouldn't think the Manage Media section would care.

Makes me suspect that uploading them all again won't help. Maybe I'll try a few at a time.

Forum User
Hello,

Manage media let you move medias from the current album to another. There is a drop-down list down the page. Tell me if is it possible in this strange album.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

worldfooty

Forum User
OK, I created a new album, test2. I went to the one with the 53 photos (call it test1) and under Manage Media I hit Check All and then Move to test2. It returned me to the test1 album, and the photos had not been moved.

A privilege problem or something?

worldfooty

Forum User
I reckon it could be a size issue. Since move wouldn't work for me, I created a new album, put 4 of the images in, renamed them, changed the album cover, all worked fine.

I added 4 more, same messing around, same success.

Added 8 more, renamed them, all was fine.

Added the remaining 37, renamed them all, none of them worked. Tried renaming a couple - doesn't work. :banghead:

The files are typically 50 to 100 KB.

So could it purely be that it spits it somewhere from around 17 to 52 images?

Even just going to the last couple now and selecting them and then selecting delete has no effect. Manage media just won't work for me on this album any more once I got beyond about 16 images in it. Either that or 1 of the images is somehow evil and once it is in there then Manage Media breaks.

worldfooty

Forum User
Well, after several more failed attempts, I think/hope I have my albums okay.

I've just had to accept that the albums can't hold more than about 24 photos. Maybe there was something evil about some of the photos and so my smaller list omits them, but it seems more likely that the total was the problem.

2 albums of 24 rather than 1 of 53 (so I cut out a few) is working fine. I went to 28 and Manage Media stopped allowing any changes again, so I had to delete the album and start over (that's part of the frustration, I can't just delete a few images when it does fail).

I'll test big albums with other images to see if it always fails. Maybe there is some "transaction" limit by my host.

So in summary - a work around to get me moving again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:23 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content