Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 01:20 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Links at the very top of Geeklog

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Hi, I need to add a "contact us" link at the top of my site. I want it to be a link at the top where it says 'forum' 'live chat' etc... I was looking at some posts for the top menu. 1 said to edit header.thtml... I went there and I didn't see the words "forum" or "live chat" anywhere in there, so I don't know if it's changed since I'm on GL 1.6... I read another post about going to config/menu which I did and I don't see any of those existing menu items so I'm just not sure if that is for the top menu. On my site these links are under the top banner but above the center forum block. Where can I edit this?

Thanks a lot!
Brian

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You're looking for How do I change the menu?

bye, Dirk

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by: Dirk

You're looking for How do I change the menu?

bye, Dirk

Hi Dirk... I don't get it... This is what I see.... http://www.deepspacemine.com/menu.gif

I see "add element" but I don't get it because it says an element there is "plugins" yet that's not on the menu. I also don't see where to put the link and what the link should be called on the site. Sorry if this is stupid, I was here earlier and didn't grasp it even though it might be easy.

Thanks!
B

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yeah, I guess that bit is somewhat under-documented ... Try clicking on the (?) to get a list of the available entries. 'plugins' is the placeholder for all menu entries provided by plugins.

Erm, actually, 'calendar' shouldn't be in that list since the calendar is also a plugin. Something left over from older versions ...

For the menu you see here on geeklog.net, the entries would be:
0 contribute
1 plugins
2 directory
3 search

i.e. everything from "Support" through to "Calendar" are entries provided by plugins and therefore go where the 'plugins' placeholder is located.

Hmm, we should probably try and make those drop-down menus instead of text fields, I guess.

bye, Dirk

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Hi Dirk... Can you look at this image? http://www.deepspacemine.com/menu2.gif

I don't get it... I've had some custom work done and thinking maybe it's in a different place? Or I just don't get it, which is more probable. hahah

Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Okay, I guess I wasn't clear. You can't just go and invent new keywords for those entries - you're restricted to the ones listed in the documentation (minus 'calendar', as mentioned above).

For custom entries, you have two options: Either hard-code the entry in header.thtml or use the 'custom' entry and have some code in lib-custom.php that replaces it with the link you want. The lib-custom.php that ships with Geeklog has some sample code.

Actually, another option would be to use a static page (like we do with "Support" here an geeklog.net). Check the "Add to menu" checkbox and enter a label for the menu. Whether that is an option for you depends on what you want that "contact" link to do.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:20 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content