Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 11:53 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

How Is The "Read More" Link Generated?

winnerdk

Forum User
I would like to find a way to make a slight modification to the way the "read more" link is presented to the readers of my website. The other day I talked to a person who has been reading my website for years, and (believe it or not) he never realized there was "more" to most of the articles posted. Many of the people who read my website are senior citizens and sometimes they simply miss stuff that you or I would consider to be both obvious and apparent. The headlines of the articles are click-able links to the rest of the article, but they are not presented in the standard blue color for links, nor are they underlined, so many people never realize they can click on the headlines to open up the rest of the article. I've learned over time that even the most regular readers never figure that one out, and they don't know it's a feature of Geeklog. I would like to find a way to include a link that says "Click On This Link To Read More" at the end of the Introduction paragraph for every article that makes use of the Body Text box, meaning there is more to read. I would like to have that link open up the full text and URL of the article, exactly as it is created in the current "read more" link. I can accomplish this manually but I publish about 230 articles per month so that works out to about 2.760 manual link builds per year, and I would like to find a way to do it automatically if possible. I guess my real question would be - how is the current standard "read more" link generated? Would it be possible to move that element up to the end of the text written in the "Intro Text" box? Is there a way to do this with a standard line of script that I could plug into a Hoykey program I use - in effect doing it manually but with only one keystroke? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Don Winner http://www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Open the storytext.thtml template file and find the {readmore_link} variable. That's what the Professional theme uses for that link, but there are more variables that you could use to create such a link. And you can of course move that variable to somewhere else in the story template.

Does that help?

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
OK, it looks like this will work perfectly. I just moved the {readmore_link} variable up so that it appears at the end of the text in the intro box, which is exactly what I wanted to accomplish.

Now, where is the {readmore_link} variable defined, so I can change the associated text from "read more" to "Click This Link To Read More" ???

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
:rtfm: Where can I change the text ...?

The variable is set in lib-story.php, but I would change it in the language file.

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
That did it. Thanks.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:53 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content