Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, May 04 2024 @ 12:06 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Adding profile image to comments & Comment Display mode.

gdl

Anonymous
Hiya.

Running GL 1.5.0 (Looks like I need to update)

Profile Image:
I am trying to add the user profile image to the comment templates. I looked at the Forum templates for some hints. As I've stated in the past, I'm not much of a programmer. I see that in the topic.thtml that there are 2 functions being called in, {magical_image} and {avatar}. I attempted to add these functions to the comment.thtml, but nothing showed up. I figure because this functionality is only present in the forum plugin. If I'm wrong could you please let me know what I may be doing wrong. If this functionality is only in the Forum, how would I attempt to bring this into the comments?

Comment Mode
On a side not too, I have noticed that despite the default setting for the comment layout mode, ie: flat, nested, threaded being set in the configuration to "Flat", Admins and Users get different default settings. Anonymous users do get the Default "Flat" mode. Though Logged in users get "Nested". And Admin users get "Threaded". Can you tell me why this is? I am wanting to remove the option for users to adjust this mode altogether as it is unnecessary and muddles up the page. Though when I delete the content in commentbar.thtml and it looks great, I have no consistency in the layout as I described above. Since I'm running 1.5.0, this may have been addressed in an update. If so, guess i need to update to the latest. Otherwise, if you could let me know what is going on, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Dan

gdl

Anonymous
Duh.. Oops!

I overlooked the Comment Display in My Account settings. Sorry about that. Apparently the default setting does work correctly. And apparently a new user added to GL adjusts the My Account settings to the default at the time of registration. So all is fine on that end.

Comment Profile Image Confused

I also took a shot in adding the {user_photo} function to the comment.thtml since that is what the profile.thtml is using to pull the photo in. Again, nothing shows up. I guess adding the users photo may be a bit harder than just grabbing functionality from one template and placing it into another. If you can confirm that I'm barking up the wrong tree, that would save me some time.

Thanks,

-Dan

suprsidr

Forum User
Whatever function responsible for rendering the particular template has to make the variables available to the template or understand how to render the variable.
So no, its not as easy as adding the variable to the template.

-s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

gdl

Anonymous
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: gdl

Comment Profile Image Confused

I also took a shot in adding the {user_photo} function to the comment.thtml since that is what the profile.thtml is using to pull the photo in. Again, nothing shows up.

In the comment templates, it's {author_photo}.

bye, Dirk

gdl

Anonymous
Hey Dirk.

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's also controlled by the "force width" in configuration. I need to adjust the template a bit to accommodate the photo now, but this is going to work nice.

-Dan

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:06 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content